Logo

Im new to boating

treeman

what kind of gear oil is best

what kind of gear oil is best for a 78' 115hp/ 2 stroke johnson outboard? and how often should the foot be serviced? and what to look for when the hydrolics sometimes don't lower?

"PTT problems.... usually stic

"PTT problems.... usually sticking relays. If PTT travels in one direction but not the other, the relays are usually at fault.

Possibly your PTT is the type that does not have relays but rather has a solenoid for the up mode. If so, when the engine will not go down, tap the electric motor slightly. If that causes the unit to engage, suspect that the electric motor needs looking at.

Remove, clean, and re-tighten all wiring terminals associated with the PTT electric circuit.

Gearlube.... HiVis on that engine, available at WalMart, K-Mart, your dealership, etc."

SC you need to service the out

SC you need to service the outboard once a year however gear oil is cheap and i would change the oil every six months

"what if---u only use that rig

"what if---u only use that rig...1x a month?.....i chg my bay boat,..1 a yr,..and its still fairly clean......just did it...i def dont get the recomended 100 hrs on it,...my searay,...1x a yr....20 hrs,..maybe...we r in a severe drought her ein central texas...a solid,..2 yr drought!..lakes,..my stock tanks,...rivers...r going dry....so we dont go out much in my searay or river boat..25hp/alumacraft...lake travis,...a major wtr source for many cities,rice farmers......................etyc,..is hurting...its our major lake in our area...islands r showing up,that have not beeen seen in 30 yrs............."

Back