Logo

Power trim pump problems

super440

"I'm having issues with my

"I'm having issues with my power trim. It started with the motor sinking back down an inch or two from full tilt. Now all of a sudden it will sink almost all the way down as soon as you let off the switch. It also seems to lift slowly, but this is a new boat to me so I'm not used to how it should work. The tank is full and I dont see any leaks. I'm attaching a picture of the pump as I dont know what make it is. There doesnt seem to be any stampings I can see and the label is sun bleached. This problem happens with or without power to the pump. I suspect a sticking valve, but I would sure like to hear any advice someone might have before I take it apart. Thanks.
286037.jpg
who makes this pump?

"Well I removed the pump from

"Well I removed the pump from the boat tonight and on the back of the mounting bracket was a "volvo penta" sticker. Of course that was all I could read off it. Looks like this boat is all volvo, AQ145A with a 280 outdrive even a volvo power trim. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow at work and see if I can see anything funky."

I took the bottom end off the

I took the bottom end off the pump at work today and found out what my problem was. There was some pieces of what looks to be part of an o-ring stuck in a valve. I'm guessing from one of the lift cylinders. That would also explain the slight sinking the lower unit does when raised. Put it back together and it works good enough for now. Have to take the whole system apart this winter. I would still like to hear if anyone knows what model this trim pump is though. It'll make ordering parts alot easier. Thanks.

"Brad,

I have the 5.7 engi

"Brad,

I have the 5.7 engines and have a problem with my power tilt as well. Your problem sounds like a leaking actuator. You can buy a rebuild kit for around $50. New ones are around 400/each. Im looking for a 10 amp fuse that is supposed to be on the frame the pump is mounted to. You didnt happen to see one when you pulled it out did you? There are 2 relays, one for up and the other down....then theres the fuse..."

"I didnt see a fuse, but there

"I didnt see a fuse, but there was a circuit breaker. If you look at the picture, just below the two relays there is the reset button of the circuit breaker (40A). And I think there is one built into the trim switch on the console also. Does your pump look exactly like mine? If so, do you have a model number?"

Back