Logo

1997 MERCURY 40 HP

i JUST BOUGHT THIS BOAT WANT T

i JUST BOUGHT THIS BOAT WANT TO MAKE SURE i DIDNT GET RIPPED OFF. WATER IS PUMPING UP AND OUT OF ALL THE SPOTS IT IS SUPPOSED TO. AND THEN SOME......

"Sounds like either your tell-

"Sounds like either your tell-tale (pee tube) is not in it's fitting correctly and is leaking everywhere OR you have a toasted powerhead base gasket OR a bad thermostat gasket OR any other gasket in there (water cover, exhaust cover etc).

You are going to have to visually check to see where the water is coming from to figure out what needs to be fixed."

"AND, if you just bought the b

"AND, if you just bought the boat you have to assume that it was NOT cared for properly.

NOBODY sells a boat/motor that is "Perfect" - if it was perfect it would still be sitting in their driveway.

ASSUME that it will need, at minimum, a complete maintenance job done including waterpump, gear oil, sparkplugs, lube any moving parts and possibly a new fuel filter and carb cleaning (if equipped with carbs).

The quickest way to toast a used motor is to trust what "some guy" said (who sold this perfect motor) and fire it up right away without a good going over..."

LOOKS LIKE A GASKET TO ME RIGH

LOOKS LIKE A GASKET TO ME RIGHT ON THE BOTTOM OF WHERE THE MOTOR MOUNTS TO THE TOP OF THE START OF THE LOWER UNIT IS IT HARD TO TAKE APART?

""hard" is a relative

""hard" is a relative term - I routinely pull powerheads and find it easy - depends on your skill level and what tools you have available.

In general though, you unhook a couple wires and a hose or two, undo the bolts securing the powerhead to the exhaust housing and simply lift her off - replace the gasket and button it all back up.

If you are going to do it yourself, get at least a Selocs manual for your model and make sure you have a Merc dealer that either has or can get you the powerhead base gasket "before" you pull it - otherwise you could be waiting a couple weeks for them to "get it in stock"...."

"Grahm, Thanks for all the in

"Grahm, Thanks for all the info. I think I may be able to do it. I now know why the bolts were out of the power head. I pulled off the small cover around the exhaust and they all six fell out on the floor. Now I know why. Where are you located?"

"Cambridge, Ontario - just a l

"Cambridge, Ontario - just a little north of Lake Erie and a little west of Lake Ontario - so all my "big water" is fresh
"

"Grahm, Thanks for the help..

"Grahm, Thanks for the help....I have the boat sold already. Told the guy all about it. I have a small car lot in Florida. Had three or four people fighting over it yesterday. The first day I put it out. Selling it for $2,300. Tax & title includ..I grew up in Alexandria Bay N.Y.
I may get into boats for a bit if I can find them at the auction. Thanks man, Artie."

Back