Logo

03 Yahama 115 2 Stroke Initial Hard Starting

wheelski

"Daily first time start very d

"Daily first time start very difficult, even using choke manually. There after starts immediately.
First start sometimes requires a shot of starting fluid and then ok quick start.

Very few total run hours. New plugs, problem continues."

"are you pumping your bulb up

"are you pumping your bulb up good and hard just before cold start? also open your neutral throttle lever just a bit. motors tend to each have their own special starting routine. i crank mine about 3 seconds, let off and wait maybe 5 or 10 seconds and then crank again and she'll start right up then. try something like that. good luck1"

"Thanks Bob --I do the bulb s

"Thanks Bob --I do the bulb squeeze and open the throttle a bit, but will try your short patience routine."

"the book says to not crank th

"the book says to not crank the starter for more than 5 seconds at a time. that's what got me to trying different cranking routines. the position of your choke and the neutral throttle lever position are 2 other variables to experiment with. one other item, i keep my plugs very clean and I think that helps on starting also. I bought one of those spark plug sand blasters at Harbor Freight Tools for about $10 and it's paid for itself over and over. in fact I'm still running my original 1999 spark plugs. they almost never wear out, just get oily carbon on them and makes for hard starts I think. of course you'll need a small air compressor for the spark plug cleaner, but i use it for everything including cleaning carburetors, etc.
good luck!"

"when the air box and rubber g

"when the air box and rubber gaskets are reinstalled, ive seen some misplaced gaskets hanging up the choke butterflies, and not letting them close all the way. Normally from winterization/fogging."

"Hi Guys -- Thanks much for

"Hi Guys -- Thanks much for suggestions. Finally got back to the boat this week to try...

Turns out that 1)firm bulb, 2)no trottle, 3)5-7 seconds of cranking. If no start, 10 sec wait and starts fine. All engines have their particulars

Cheerio/Wheelski"

"Another question: 2003 115H

"Another question: 2003 115HP 2 cycle.
Dash Tilt Indicator not at all accurate.
Where is sending/receiving, etc device.?

TX/Wheelski"

Back