Logo

Omc elect shift

hello to all looking to find s

hello to all looking to find some 1 that might be able to help with a omc electric shift i took her out the other day and put it into forward and it took off fine went about 75 yards and it acted like i kicked it out of gear it wont go into forward but yet it will go into reverse and run just fine any ideas would be apperciated and thank you

"Your FORWARD clutch coil in t

"Your FORWARD clutch coil in the Stern Drive MAY have failed.I'm no expert, but that's what it sounds like.
What year, and Model of Stern Drive Roy?

Scott"

"first let me start by saying

"first let me start by saying thank you for the respond ,it is a 1973 165 hp all i have is the model number 980063 i am very new to this yet i am a mechanic by trade are those the coils mounted on the starboard side of the engine ? any further help would be apperciated thank you again"

the coil is in the stern drive

the coil is in the stern drive at the rear of the shaft. Forward gear also check to see if the 12v wire that feed the coils is ok

"do a resistence check on the

"do a resistence check on the wire that goes to the coil .8 ohm to 1.8 ohm ,one wire is green and one is blue .It's been a long time since I work on one, hope this helps"

i have 12 volt to the drive ch

i have 12 volt to the drive checked that so i asume that it is in the lower unit and i need to pull it of is this correct ? and is there any tricks to doing this that may help me ? or just pull the 6 bolts sorry very new to this and thank you all for the info

also i did find that 1 of the

also i did find that 1 of the wires that come threw the upper unit was bair on 1 side of it is it possible that it may have short out the system and blew the coil in the lower unit ?

"your right about it opening t

"your right about it opening the coil, but just to be sure check for resistence. Behind the motor their should be were the wires connect to the outdrive, they have a slide splice were they connect OR put 12v on only one wire and ground and listen for the coil to engage the gear. }DO NOT PUT 12V ACROSS THE WIRE"

"[i]is it possible that it may

"is it possible that it may have short out the system and blew the coil in the lower unit

No, a short would not damage the coil."

thank you all for your respond

thank you all for your responding i have tryed the test and can hear the reverse gear click but nothing on the forward gear i tryed the green and blue wire it ran the tilt for the lower unit is it diffacult to remove the lower unit and get to that coil any tricks i need to know or just pull the six bolts out willit slide out after disconecting the wire going to the unit any thing else i need to disconect sorry for alll the ? very new to the operation of electric shift units

"ROY follow the wire from the

"ROY follow the wire from the stern drive going thru the back of the hole in the houseing to the motor, their should be a disconnection ,so when you remove the drive the wire will come thru the hole.as for the coil removel the shaft has to come out to replace it . once you drop the bottem united their is another disconnect , check that wire also with 12v + TO wire - TO GROUND and listen for gear. some times that black wire opens up. good Luck"

thank you all for the responds

thank you all for the responds it has helped me a great deal i have found the problem now if i can get lucky enough to find this coil to replace it so fare not much luck most shops tell me they dont make them any more and some say they are a magnet type

also was able to hear the shif

also was able to hear the shift on the front click when 12 volt was applied if any 1 could point me in the right direction to find this coil i would really apperciate it might even save some hide on my back side so my other half might let go of the grab handle attached on my rear end lol thank you all

1 last ? can any one tell me w

1 last ? can any one tell me what that part is called for sure it has 1 wire to it and the front one looks like a magnet a round disk is it a coil or a cyanoid ?

"roy what do you mean, the coi

"roy what do you mean, the coil in the front of the shaft is rev and the coil in the back is forward they are magnet type see if www. ebasicpower.com has then, they have most parts for the OLD OMC"

aww ok i will look that up tha

aww ok i will look that up thank you i cant seem to get the rear magnet out every thing else come out great with a little luck i will get it out thank you to all for your help

"just a note to say thank you

"just a note to say thank you to every 1 that responed to my post i have found the problem in the omc electric shift the forward spring was broke all is well now and time for one,last cast to hit the water again"

Back