Logo

Spark tester

nicknack2

Regular Contributor
quick question for all the &#3

quick question for all the "gurus"

IAW Joe Reeves:
"Rig a spark tester and have the gap set to 7/16". Hook up the timing light to the #1 plug wire. Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4° less than what the engine calls for"

why is it that a spark tester is needed?

"The tester is needed to get t

"The tester is needed to get the correct 'load' on the ignition system, and prevent spark jumps from going where they might cause severe damage, like into the primary leads of the coil. We are talking 'shocks' of 25.000Volts +++. Imagine what 'fun' such a shock may cause if jumping into the antenna input of Your 42" flat screen TV!!"

"that adj,and setting,...is fo

"that adj,and setting,...is for 'base' adj,...Timing should ALWAYS.,,,be checked and adj as per OMC/BRP recommendations,..at 5000 rpm....understandably,hard to do for the average person,w/no test wheels,test tanks etc....it will get u close,and many times,.right on the money,..i have been doing that for 32 yrs.....right before......i set it ,....at 5000 rpm..........................its an excellent '
base'timing adj...and omc,...has even advised it,'under the table'....why do they not,put it in service manuals,and save us all the trbl of running to 5000....????...cuz,it is not exact....and thats what a service manual,and ,professionals,strive, for.............."

"I am pretty sure I remember p

"I am pretty sure I remember posting this to you back in Aug of '08 or so....but I will repeat it now.
I always set my WOT timing by hanging off the back of the boat with a timing light and running it up to 5000 on smooth water. Shut it down, make the adjustment under the flywheel, run it back up to test it again.

I know, I know.... safety warnings, but that is the way I do it.

ALSO, have you checked the roller on top of the carb linkage to make sure the outer rubberized plastic has not cracked off? This roller rides on the timing cam, it is called "Roller, cam follower" and is #30 on the carb diagram for 1991 200 HP (OR #48 on the 1995 200 drawing). If it is broken and just riding on the center spindle, your whole link and sync will be off. Maybe could cause your high idle problems, too.

On my three engines, I have encountered two broken rollers. They break. And when they do, and if the whole outer surface material falls off, it looks like nothing is wrong. In actuality, it is much smaller in diameter though."

Back