Logo

1983 140 omc renken

renkenmarine

i just a bought a 1983 renken

i just a bought a 1983 renken 19ft boat and rather then have the motor rebuilt i was wondering if there was any cars that have the same engine block that i can just swap the motor

"unless you know someone with

"unless you know someone with a good '66 Chevy II sitting around, Ebay or Craiglist, even do a google for "Marine Salvage Parts".

a reman'd engine with a warranty will cost about the same as rebuilding yours.

Whats wrong with yours ? Low compression? Low Oil Pressure ??"

"A 66' motor even if you h

"A 66' motor even if you had one would not do it. cause the manifold would not fit.

I know a little about that motor seeing as i had that motor. And last summer i paid a visit to a closed junk yard upstate NY, that is now hidden by a forest, and as a kid i used to hang there.

If you didn't know it was there you would never find it, there is not even a road going in or out.

Now to the motor i found it in a chevy II. I wanted to satisfy my curious nature. So i fought my way thru the jungle and sure enough it's close, but believe me it will not accept a manifold from a marine application. Plus it's a 2.5 not a 3.0 that was NEVER, EVER, NEVER installed in a car."

"did it look like this ?

<[

"did it look like this ?

286069.jpg
chev"">

The 153-cubic-inch (2.5 L) 153 was a straight-4 version of the family and was only used by Chevrolet with the entry-level Chevy II/Nova. Usage of the 153 lasted until 1970 when the inline six was made the base powerplant with the Chevy II/Nova (buyers opted for the inline sixes - the 230 or 250); currently, descendants of the 153 are used with industrial (forklifts or generators) or marine applications. A later variant of the 153, the 181, used a larger 4 inch bore and a longer 3.6 inch stroke. The 181 (branded by GM as the Vortec 3000 for marine or industrial usage) was not installed in passenger cars.

This engine is entirely different from the later 151-cubic-inch (2.5 L) Iron Duke, but the two are often confused today. That name was never used for this engine when it was produced.

Applications:

1962-1969 Chevy II
1967-1971 Postal Jeep
1968-1992 Chevrolet Opala (Brasil)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Straight-6_engine#153"

"I bought a ChevyII cylinder h

"I bought a ChevyII cylinder head from the wreckers once for a guys 2.5 OMC.
It worked fine.
The manifold fit fine.
We wondered about the lack of hardened seats and modern unleaded gas, but it seemed to be ok."

"wow it fit to my eye it didn&

"wow it fit to my eye it didn't seem that it would. and the mani fit. I'm going up again for a week to my summer house 4th of july. Boy's are gonna be at boy scout camp near my summer home.

I'm going to go get the head and everything else i can offa that motor.

i got a perfect 2.5 head came off my 2.5 omc after i junked the block. it's in the basement i'm waiting for someone to post they need it.

Learned something new today.

Thnak you,"

"From my understanding is over

"From my understanding is over a long period of using unleaded fuel with a head that doesn't have hardened seats as they need the lead to help cool them, else they start sinking into the head. I have a couple old bottles of lead additive, but would think that if UPS or the USPS saw them they would take them, not exactly legal anymore I think.. not sure."

Back