Logo

1408430 78 Rude

kiwi_dave

Contributing Member
"Good morning kind folk
Any h

"Good morning kind folk
Any help or suggestions would be most welcome.
As above 1408430, I know shes an old beast OB, but having some re start probs when on the water. Starts everytime in the back yard and at the ramp, as long as the holy trinity is followed.. Pump ball till hard, Set Idle to full, Press key in (key choke) and turnover (WITH CHOKE STILL PRESSED IN) after 1-2 rolls, Bang ! away we go.
On the water when fishing (stopping & starting) Figuring shes warm enough, will start first turn usually 99% of the time but the longer Im out on the water, AND the longer I sit fishing as the day goes on before starting up again, the bugger seems to not want to start ! (Typical flooding feel), usually sit for another 10-20 minuits fishing after initial start attempt gets her to kick over but initial idle seems sick (weak and rough Idle for first 1-2 mins, sometimes runs rough for further 5-10 mins (sluggish) then usually kicks ass to ramp. for the first 1-2 hrs on the water runs fine , starts fine, but the longer out on water, she trows a bit of a tizzy, Possible allergy to Salt Water ?? LOL
Thanks in advance ...."

"check COMPRESSION....that is

"check COMPRESSION....that is THE,absolute,most overhauled,eng i have ever dealt with....to last this long,it prob has been overhauled 2x....ck ur spark..."

"carbs been cleaned lately,try

"carbs been cleaned lately,try running some seafoam thru it ,thats standard starting procedure"

"running seafome,..thru a clog

"running seafome,..thru a clogged carb,..will do nothing....except burn eng up....seafoam is great stuff,..BUT,..it has to flow...clogged carb,..will not flow,..or will flow,......restricted...."

"Thanks Joe
comp reads 95/100

"Thanks Joe
comp reads 95/100/98/100. forget order but those were the numbers, Had bad spark 2-3 months ago, fixed that prob, replaced power packs. Havnt tested spark since, will try this weekend, why would prob get worse longer on water ??"

"clean carbs then seafoam /com

"clean carbs then seafoam /compression looks a little iffy ,could be seals upper /lower,combo of both"

"That old rude has hours of we

"That old rude has hours of wear.it gets worse on water possibly due to water pump failure from bad thermostats causing the cylinders to lose compression from heat expansion and lack of viscosity.or possibly the base gasket is blown allowing water into the powerhead causing the lower cylinders to wash out and stall,head gasket(s),weak ig coils,choke,plugs,timing,fuel pump/lines,tank vent,bad gas,bad reeds,carb adj,jets,to rich,etc."

Sorry JWB
I was reading one

Sorry JWB
I was reading one of Joe Reeves old posts .. LOL and thanked him instead of you .... My humble apologies .... Thanks

"Cheers justaspark .... I did

"Cheers justaspark .... I did have temp probs 12 months ago, replaced complete pump, Tstats, head gaskets, temps been real good since then. runs on the plane all day. just have probs restarting up at the end of the day.
18 months ago I asked the local fancy Marine Tech to tune the beast, but was advised I needed an open cheq book, and even then suggested that he couldnt gaurantee he could get to running better. He said he was unable to properly tune the beast as it was an old tired motor. $500 and 3months later, ended up taking the beast to a wreckers/2nd hand mech(with a decent reputation round my parts)who fixed for $175, and havnt had a prob untill current issue."

Back