Logo

1990 evinrude no spark

trudie2

i winterized and put the boat

i winterized and put the boat away last winter and everything ran fine. tried firing it up in the driveway with the muffs before we went out....no spark. i have power everywhere including to the coils. any suggestions on diagnosing? i am thinking power pack. any way to test the power pack? i hear its that 90% of the time. i would like to eliminate everything before i buy a power pack of this site. could it be the stator? anyway to rule the stator out by checking the reisitance? thanks in advance!!

"Anyone of those heres more..t

"Anyone of those heres more..timer base,key ,shift sw,senser coil,charge coil,kill sw,grounds,loose wires,broken wires,loose pin in plug ends,powerpack the least expensive first"

Remove spark plugs. Disconnect

Remove spark plugs. Disconnect the large RED electrical plug at the engine. Crank the engine by jumping the starter solenoid. Do you have spark now?

"yes- i jumped the starter and

"yes- i jumped the starter and still no spark. my manual references diconnecting the black wire with yellow stripe, but it is part of a waterproof plug, so i can not disconnect it by itself. i have power to all coil packs, and it seems everywhere else. it would seem that if it were ignition it wouldn't even turnover, like the kill switch. i could be wrong, but it seems that way. it turns over great, just no spark. -thanks"

the boat will still turn over

the boat will still turn over without the kill switch. you should be able to disconect black and yellow at the ignition switch. i was told tether switch acts up. to push in and out 20 times or so. but if you can bypass the tether it would be a better check. i dont think i got power to coil when my tether was bad?

Andy.... Did you disconnect th

Andy.... Did you disconnect that large RED electrical plug before jumping the solenoid to crank the engine?

"1990 60 hp evinrude, e60tlesm

"1990 60 hp evinrude, e60tlesm. very confusing issue. no spark on any of the 3 cylinders, but it ran fine last fall when i winterized it. i have been told 90% of the time it is the power pack. i assume there is no easy way to rule out the power pack? my dad has a 1985 johnson, i would like to hook his power pack up to test it, but i don't think they are compatible based on the differnt model #'s."

"no spark,via a spark test,aft

"no spark,via a spark test,after disc red plug,using a hot batt??......power pack........."

"power pack was my gut feeling

"power pack was my gut feeling. any insight on whether the brand matters ie. omc, mallory, sierra. are they all the same?"

"i use---sierra---and omc &#40

"i use---sierra---and omc (brp)very seldom,..do i need a fact repl---aftermarket,..sierra,is great..."

Back