Logo

2003 yamaha starts idles but dies when throttled

panochote

"I am writinig this for my bud

"I am writinig this for my buddy in Port O Connerbecasue he is frustrated that he can not fish. He had the problem repaired. The engine starts and idles perfectly but when he hits the throttle, it dies. I witnessed this last Summer when we went fishing and we literally got no where. We CRAWLED back to the boat slip. Some of the Fellas down there are saying it may be the power pack. I tried perusing this website for this problem before posting and could not specifically fin any of these symptoms. Any suggestions or experiences. I sure would like to help my boy down there. The trout are biting!!! Thank you"

"whichever, it sure sounds lik

"whichever, it sure sounds like a fuel delivery issue. maybe fuel pumps/pressure."

"Robert, do you know anything

"Robert, do you know anything about the following:

what is involved in troubleshooting a power pack for possible failure?

if anyone out there has replaced one, how much was it and how complicated is the swap (plug and play?)

Any recommendations for shop manuals? (speaking along the lines of Yamaha shop manuals or perhaps something as simple as a Clymer’s manual)

is there a way to pull trouble codes out of the ECM (or do they even store trouble codes?)"

"the power pack or ECU is prob

"the power pack or ECU is probably not the problem and they're expensive...you've probaly got a fuel delivery problem,fuel pumps/pressure..may need to take it to the boat/motor dealer..good luck!
happy.gif
"

"I had exactly the same proble

"I had exactly the same problem and all it turned out to be was the advance and retard mechanism that is connected via the throttle lever had seized up over the winter. When you push the throttle lever the advance mechanism should move forward and continue forward until you reach full throttle, all it took was WD40 and working to and fro"

that sounds like a possibility

that sounds like a possibility and a darn good thing to know about...hope it works!

Back