Logo

1990 COBRA OMC 57L problem

basi123

I took my boat out on sunday a

I took my boat out on sunday and it was running great until it started to turn off on it own. I put it in nuetral and gave it some gas but it kept on turning off. Any advice will be helpful

"Did it die quickly or die dow

"Did it die quickly or die down slowly.. quickly is typically a Ignition issue, where slowly is usually a fuel issue.

You need to start checking the ignition system and the fuel and fuel system, sounds like you could have water in the fuel, you'll want to dump your fuel water separator into a clear jar and let it sit a little and see what you have, should be yellowish/gold color and very very strong odor."

"it died quickley and when i t

"it died quickley and when i tried to start it it wouldnt start until i put it in neutral,it took me a couple of tries to get it running again"

"It wont start without being i

"It wont start without being in Neutral unless you or the previous owner disabled the Neutral Safety Switch (unsafe)

If you have a water/fuel seperator it should be located in the engine compartment and would look like an oil filter but should say "Fuel/Water Sep" or Water/Fuel sep.. simply unscrew, be causious for spilling some fuel.. have a little pan or bottom of a gal milk or water jug under it."

"Dying quickly is usually a si

"Dying quickly is usually a sign of an ignition problem, could be ignition switch, ESA Module, or other ignition components, connections, etc.. check some other OMC posts to help give you some clues.. there's many discussions about how to check the ESA module."

"ONE MORE THING THIS IS MY FIR

"ONE MORE THING THIS IS MY FIRST BOAT AND I WAS WONDERING IF I COILD CHANGE IT MYSELF, IS IT GOING TO BE TOO DIFFUCULT FOR ME"

"it depends on you, I think

"it depends on you, I think replacing the filter is like unscrewing a light bulb, you need to be careful as there will most always be fuel in it, where if you have a spark, you will get hurt, if you take precautions, like making sure someone else with you doesn't turn anything on, on the boat, or for safety you can go so far as to disconnect you batterie(s) and have a container under the filter when you remove so you dont spill any into you bilge.

reinstalling is simple, put a little bit of oil on the rubber seal and screw it on, only with your hands, never a tool, it should spin on easily. .. you may need an oil filter type wrench to loosen it.

any questions?"

"OK,THERE IS A CONTAINER NEXT

"OK,THERE IS A CONTAINER NEXT TO THE TRIM/TILT MOTOR THAT LOOKS LIKE THE WATER/FUEL SERATOER, IS IT LOCATED UNDER THE ENGINE OR ON TOP?"

AND ONE MORE QUESTION WHEN I G

AND ONE MORE QUESTION WHEN I GO TO BUY A NEW WATER/FUEL SEPERATOR DOES IT HAVE TO BE SPECAILLY FOR OMC ENGINES?

"first, please turn off your c

"first, please turn off your cap lock, its harder to read and some people take it as yelling.

It could be next to the trim pump, its usually near the front of the engine though or between the fuel tank and the engine. Could be anywhere, it depends on the person or company that installed it.

No, it's not specific to OMC, note the manufacturer of the filter and the part number, that's all that matters.

You may not need a new filter, How old do you think it is ? or when was it last changed? Dump it into a container, let it sit and see if you have water bubbles at the bottom, and check the color, should be golden yellow."

Back