Logo

Engine Hunts

preager

"I just purchased a 1981 3007

"I just purchased a 1981 3007 Carver with twin 305 inboards. When underway, at any rpm, the port engine speed varies (hunts up and down) about 300 rpm on its own without me touching the throttles. At idle, everything is fine. Does anyone have an idea as t owhere I should start looking?"

"Manytimes, that is a spark pl

"Manytimes, that is a spark plug turning on and off. But, could be caused by several things, including: bad plug, bad plug wire, bad dist. cap, oil fouled. I'd pull all the plugs and look for a difference."

"Also, check the filters for t

"Also, check the filters for that engine and, if it has a separate fuel tank, try running it on the other side.

Jeff"

"I've experienced this one

"I've experienced this one. In my case the two week old spark plug leads failed. Found them with an ohm meter. if not, in addition to the lists from above, your spark advance mechanism (inside the distributor) could be malfunctioning."

I've also experienced inte

I've also experienced intermittant RPM changes of 200 units up or down with no change in throttle position. In my case a plug wire partially burned through on the exhaust manifold and was shorting to ground. I agree with the other posters that the problem is probably ignition related.

Back