Logo

2007 BF 225 Problems

inpursuit2

"I have a 2007 Honda 225 with

"I have a 2007 Honda 225 with only 80 hrs on it. It has been great so far but this weekend it acted up. After idling a while, when I gave it full throttle to come up on plane I got a temp alarm and the RPM's dropped out. It did it several times but only when I accelerated hard from a stop. It was peeing good with no obstructions. If I feathered it up gradually it would get to WOT and stay there no problem. The racor filter has no visible h2o in it. Any ideas?"

"No experience with Honda 225,

"No experience with Honda 225, but have seen the same symptom on Chrysler 4 cyl, Mercruiser 120 and Yamaha 90.

A sudden and rapid brief rise in temperature to near redline, followed by normal temperature (looked like after thermostat opened).

First two were headgaskets and Yamaha was cylinder head corrosion hole into combustion chamber.

Early stage of problem just forced coolant out of head until thermostat opened, causing the brief rise in temperature and within a few weeks it progressed to full overheat and steam out exhaust.

Water in combustion chamber usually follows combustion pressure in water jacket and one unusually clean spark plug would be seen if it got to that stage. (Milky color lube oil from water contamination would be another bad sign.)

I truly hope your problem turns out to be just a sticky thermostat or coolant pressure relief valve.

The 'pee' stream is good to see, but it is generally from outside of main coolant passages and clean fuel would have no effect on overheat."

"Could be several things - som

"Could be several things - something as simple as a bad heat sensor or loose connection on the heat sensor wire, to an obstructed water passage in the block. With only 80 hours, I would take it to the dealer and have them hook up the HDS device and run a full diagnostic. That engine is still under warranty."

"remmber to wash the engine wi

"remmber to wash the engine with fresh water after avry use,
i recommend to u to check the termostat ,often the are stuck in a new engine.
update ."

"On the BF 225, if a t-stat is

"On the BF 225, if a t-stat is stuck, it almost always is stuck in the open position, so I am told."

"probable u rihat but ,not alw

"probable u rihat but ,not always the are stuk on open position.

i can tel u that i have a lot of bf 225 engins and i removed the termo stat and now its perfkt,
but!!!!!!! the water tempratore her is 20 celsius,so its cant hard the engine."

"Could it be the thermostat wh

"Could it be the thermostat when it only sets off the alarm when I give it full throttle from stopped? If I feather it up gradually, I can get to Wide open every time with no issues. If I jump on it, at about 3000-4000 rpm's it sounds the overheat alarm and drops the rpms."

"Ed - first - are you sure it&

"Ed - first - are you sure it's the overheat alarm that is going off? Your gauges should tell you. If so, then first, test for a faulty heat sensor or bad connection. If faulty, the MIL gives 24 blinks for sensor 1 and 25 blinks for sensor 2. If you have the Honda shop manual, the testing procedure is on page 5-56 and 5-57. Basically, you need to see 4.3 to 5.25 volts coming off the sensor. If so, then you have a real overheating problem.

Assuming the sensors are good, there is no reason whatsoever that engine should sound an overheating sensor by just gunning it to WOT. You are not cooling the engine sufficiently. DO NOT PERMANENTLY REMOVE THE T-STATS. That will cause a whole series of other problems. Track down the problem. First, remove the t-stats and test them in heated water. They should start to open at 140 degrees (F), and be fully open at 158 degrees. Fully open is 3.0 mm. If they check out, then you have either a bad water pump impeller, or an obstruction in the cooling lines. Start with dropping the lower case and checking/replacing the impeller. Make sure no pieces have broken off and are not in the impeller housing. If so, then you have to pressure back wash the cooling system pipes.

Let us know how this turns out."

"If you're up rpm in nutr

"If you're up rpm in nutral and the alarm is stop , so it's likely that your water Shmshabt not give a good discharge."

This means that as you crawled

This means that as you crawled up rounds per minute warning persists then enough heating of the low resource.

"Ed - a dose of stupidity from

"Ed - a dose of stupidity from a third party has invaded this thread. If you are not familiar with or comfortable with handling the issue as I described, then take it to a dealer, have them run the diagnostics, and find out the exact problem. The Honda Diagnostic System is very good and will normally pinpoint the exact problem."

"Thanks for the help.. I took

"Thanks for the help.. I took it to the Honda shop and they replaced the water pump impeller along with the 100 hr service. It didn't look too bad but maybe it was borderline. Anyway, we'll see what happens, hopefully she will be fine now.. I will let you guys know for future reference. Thanks again!"

"Guys- I said I would let you

"Guys- I said I would let you know and here it is.. The Honda shop did the service on the engine and replaced the water pump impeller and housing. I had it out yesterday and it ran fine almost all day, but toward the end of the day, sure enough same issue.. coming out of the hole with full thrust, overrheat alarm and RPM's drop to safe mode! Again, if I gradually come up to speed I can get to wide open and run there. THis is very frustrating. What should I ask my Honda Tech? Last time they said It threw no codes."

"Ed - that is truly strange. O

"Ed - that is truly strange. Overheat alarm goes off, engine goes into SAFE mode, but ECM is not throwing any codes! At this point I would suspect the ECM is faulty OR there is a bad connection between the heat sensor and the ECM - possibly a bad/intermittant ground connection. I think it is possible that if the ECM loses the reading from one of the heat sensors, it will sound the alarm, but not record a fault code.

Tell your tech to follow the test procedures on pages 5-56 and 5-57 of the shop manual. That will isolate whether you have a bad sensor, a bad connection with the ECM, or a bad ECM. In the process, have him double check the soundness of all connectors and ground wires."

"I think I know what your prob

"I think I know what your problem is, if the problem is really Alerts heat engine so u need to open the manifold and to se if u havr ther fur, i washing my motors with fur cleaner and its very helping"

Back