Logo

BF 150 Smoke at start up

hbjones

I have twin 2006 bf150s. After

I have twin 2006 bf150s. After a day of fishing (apprx. 100 miles) I docked the boat and left it for the night. The next morning when I cranked the starboard engine I got a brief puff of blue white smoke. engined idled fine and couldn't duplicate the problem again. The engines were trimmed all the way down for the night which I never have done before. Is it possible for oil to get in the bottom cylinder if the engine sits for 12 hours or so trimmed all the way down. The engines have 380 hrs.

Thanks

Thanks

"Yes, it is possible for a sma

"Yes, it is possible for a small amount of oil to leak past the rings if the motor is trimmed below horizontal & left for a period, then burnt on start-up.
I wouldn't be concerned, unless the oil consumption was excessive."

I had the same thing happen to

I had the same thing happen to my Twin BF 225s. I keep my boat on a lift and it tilts toward the stern so water will drain. Needless to say the engins tilted the same way which allowed oil in the cylinders to puddle against the rings and small amount would seep by and cause puff of blue gray smoke at each initial start up. Trim your engines up a little and probelem will be solved.

"Thanks for the replies. These

"Thanks for the replies. Theses are great running engines and very effecient, that is why I didn't think it could be any type of major problem.

Britt"

Back