Logo

Switching to electronic ign

mike_w

hi i have a late 70s mercruise

hi i have a late 70s mercruiser 140 that i want to switch to electronic ign motor runs great but my points system is unreliable i was going to order pertronix 91146a ignitor 2 and a45111flame thrower 2 coil are these the right ones for my app and do i need anything else to make the swap }

"i have a late 70s mercruiser

"i have a late 70s mercruiser 140 that i want to switch to electronic ign motor runs great but my points system is unreliable

Runs great but unreliable?????????
most run great with electronic , but it`s just as unreliable"

"unreliable cuz us falible hum

"unreliable cuz us falible humans design and manufacture them and certain companies like to skimp. .002c

I like the Pertronix stuff, and yea.. te 91146 should be correct. just need a couple basic tools."

"I would also recommend gettin

"I would also recommend getting the marine plug wires to go with the Pertronix kit, the kit does no good if keep bad wires. you are also adding a more powerful coil.

Make sure your advance weights are not gummed up, lightly lube them.

There can be a mold seam line on the inner surface of the ring that slides over the distributor shaft which helps create the proper interfernece fit, make sure you have that ring seated in the proper postion so the rotor cap can be installed correctly. Use a big socket to tap it into position.

Do not forget to reset your idle & check/reset your timing

Enjoy your conversion, it makes a difference."

Back