Logo

1980 85hp v4 johnson outboard

capes

"my motor turns over stong but

"my motor turns over stong but gets no spark to coils. bypassed tether switch, still no spark.what could it be? this is a 1980 85hp v4 johnson."

"Remove s/plugs. Disconnect la

"Remove s/plugs. Disconnect large red electrical plug at engine. Crank engine using jumper from battery cable terminal of solenoid to 3/8" nut of solenoid that engages solenoid.

Do you now have spark? If so, suspect shorted ignition switch. Test switch by reconnecting red connector at engine, then removing black/yellow wire from ignition switch. If spark exists with that wire disconnected but no spark with it connected, replace switch.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

should engine start and run wi

should engine start and run with black and yellow wire removed? could this be a powerpak problem? dealer wants me to change power paks.

"With black/yellow wire discon

"With black/yellow wire disconnected from powerpack, this eliminates the kill circuit and should allow spark if the pack is okay.

If that wire is disconnected and still no spark, the powerpack is usually faulty."

tried pulling black and yellow

tried pulling black and yellow and tried jumping with cables still no spark. would it make sense that both power paks go bad at same time? no spark out of each power pak.get power from flywheel to power pak.

"If voltage reaches that black

"If voltage reaches that black/yellow wire as explained below, that condition could damage both packs at the same tiem.

(MCD Powerpack Failures - 1973 +)
(Magneto Capacitance Discharge Systems)
(J. Reeves)p tube within the fuekl tank

The usual cause of having those type powerpacks fail repeatedly is having a very small of voltage applied to the Black/Yellow wire at the pack. Test as follows.

Disconnect the Black/Yellow wire at the powerpack.

Insert either a ampere meter or a volt meter set to its lowest DC voltage reading between that Black Yellow wire and ground.

With the ignition key in the OFF position, observe the meter reading. Now turn the ignition key to the ON position and again observe the meter reading.

Any reading, movement of the meter needle, would indicate that battery voltage is being applied to that Black/Yellow wire. If a reading is present, remove the other end of that Black/Yellow from the raised terminal of the ignition switch.

If the reading ceases to exist when the Black/Yellow wire is removed from the ignition switch, replace the switch. If the reading continues to exist, there would be a short of some kind in either the engine or instrument wiring harness.... to determine which, simply unplug the large RED electrical plug at the engine which would eliminate the instrument cable.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

i pulled alot of wires apart t

i pulled alot of wires apart to test. didnt really find anything. finally gave up. put it all back together and it fired right up. must have been just loose wire??? or could it still be an intermittent spark from power pak??? thanks for your help. we will see if it messes up again. still not feeling good about being on the water with it!!! thanks again

Back