Logo

76 OMC Stringer Engine stalling

kelly999

"The motor is the ford 351w wi

"The motor is the ford 351w with a holley 4 barrel carb. I've done all tune up related maintenance except play too much with the carb. Upon take off there is a slight dead spot around 1000rpms, sometimes will stall. Will sometimes also sputter and die when cruising on the lake around 3000rpms. Was pulling tubes and skier this past weekend and it died a few times. Will start again after a few seconds. I'm thinking it is a fuel issue? I replaced the fuel pump last year but the issue hasn't changed. I've had the boat for 3 seasons now and have never had the carb gone through. Could it be bad jets or leaks in the carb, maybe not set up right? Could it maybe need a carb kit installed? Anyone with any ideas? thanks"

"have the carb rebuilt by a pr

"have the carb rebuilt by a professional, and it will fix the dead spot at 1000 r's. as far as the stalling goes, when it dies, does it sputter out or just flat out die? because if it does, you could have an electrical issue."

"What pressure the fuel pump g

"What pressure the fuel pump giving you 4-6 psi no less.You cleaned all the filters, the one in the fitting that enters the carb, the one in the fuel pump and the anti-syphin valve checked?

The fuel pickup tube checked and the screen on the bottom of the tube. The vent clogged up?"

thanks for those tips. Will c

thanks for those tips. Will check all filters and check fuel pressure. My manual shows 7-9 psi for pressure.

"I stand corrected, 7-9 psi fo

"I stand corrected, 7-9 psi for the fuel pump, so you did check it?

Now if the fuel pump is giving good pressure.The motor had a full tune up, and timed correctly. Then i would check the weights in the dizzy.

Carb rebuilt? Ok it still doing it i would look to see if you have bad fuel hoses, allowing air into the system. Good hoses and all filters clean?

Then i would look to the timing chain, loose, skipped a tooth.

Want to try something? It's free if you have the gauge. vacuum check the motor. Post the result.

Heres the link:

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm"

Thanks again for all those thi

Thanks again for all those things to check out. It'll probably take me most of this week to check them out. I haven't had the carb rebuilt since I've owned it(3yrs). Probably should have it done. Could this be an electrical issue? Coil or sparkplug wires? I haven't changed those yet. I'll post new info when I get some of these things done. thanks again.

Kelly

Back