Logo

Alpha 1 sterndrive

starsh1p

Regular Contributor
"Hey guys, I know this is a cr

"Hey guys, I know this is a crappy pic but can anyone tell me what these two bolts do? I think they may adjust the drive kinda side to side but not sure and the manual doesn't mention them as far as I can see. Thanks
285721.jpg
bolts

Brian

If you look at the si

Brian

If you look at the side of the gimbal ring you will notice there is a GAP abou 1/8 inch on both sides.

Those 2 bolts are shoulder screws BUT if there is slop in the ring to steering pivot arm you MAY be able to tighten them a small amount. It does remove some of the side to side free play in the ring "sometimes" if it is not worn to much.

"Thank you also Kghost, that i

"Thank you also Kghost, that is exactly why I asked about them. I am in the process of removing the engine and outdrive and being the pig head that I am, started without consulting the manual. Luckily one of the first things I did was loosen these two bolts and noticed the slight travel of the ring so I stopped what I was doing and consulted the manual. Now I am on the rite track to removing the drive and engine. The experience just made me curious as to what they did, now I know. Thank you both."

"I've seen the gap, though

"I've seen the gap, thought it was just part of Merc's wonderful design.

I like that "MAY"..

I like VP's Engineering better, some of their design diffrences seem to be better thought.

unlike my thoughts."

"I think some of Volvo-Penta&#

"I think some of Volvo-Penta's idea differences for certain things are better then Merc, at least the older stuff pre-90 and Looking at my nephews Glastron with a VP drive I noticed some interesting differences.. But I was born a Merc & GM guy and will always be."

Back