Logo

1958 55 Itbs Alive But still has a small problem

oneeyemike77

Contributing Member
"First, thanks to all you guys

"First, thanks to all you guys who have helped me so far on this motor. Fired her up tonight. Started on the third pull. I used Joes carb adjustments. I can get to the spot on both the high and low speed settings where it runs best but it would start surging then quit. The tank did not seem like it had any pressure when removing the filler cap. So I placed the tank higher than the engine and it still would surge but it wouldn't die. I removed the air hose at the tank, started the engine, and can only feel a slight "pulse". Not what i would think it would take to move fuel. Then I attached a piece of hose to the tank and blew air into it to check to see if it leaked. It did hold pressure enough that I could release it a little at a time with my thumb over the hose. I then took soapy water and sprayed around the fittings and the tank gaskets. I did find one very small pinhole at the gasket where the black pump/gauge thing mounts to the tank. Very small. My questions are:

1. How do I know if the motor is supplying the tank with enough pressure?

2. Would the amount of gas in the tank have anything to do with it? I tried the motor tonight with only one gal of gas in tank. I'm thinking more fuel in tank the quicker it can build pressure.?

3. Since I changed the coils condenser points and wires is thet a link/sync that I need to do.

From what she sounded like tonight its going to be a great motor. The motor and drive is very quiet.
Thanks in advance"

"Does the 'pump', the

"Does the 'pump', the button just in front of the handle on tank, work?
You normally need to pump up the pressure in the tank before starting. If tank is full, just a few times, if next to empty, quite some times."

The position of the tank has n

The position of the tank has nothing to do with gas delivered. start it without the hood on and keep an eye on the fuel bowl if it stays full your tank is maintaining pressure. If not then you have a problem with fuel delivery and not necessarily a pressure though it could be.
When you release the filler cap you should hear the escaping air.

bjm

A common problem area with the

A common problem area with these motors is the sintered brass fuel filter located inside the glass fuel bowl...reverse flush it with carburetor cleaner spray and try it again.

I guess the fresh gas going th

I guess the fresh gas going through the motor the other night when I first started it helped it because the next day I tried it again and it didn't die. I got the carb adjusted and it runs great. No surging or dieing out. It has more air pressure coming from the air line and It hisses when the filler cap is removed. She runs like a champ in a barrel. One pull start!.
When it is first started is it normal to have to let it run a few minutes before applying any throttle. It will die if you give it throttle to quick. I didn't know if that was normal or if I needed to sync something?
Thanks to all who have responded and shared their knowledge with me. It is appreciated.
mike

"I believe the only sync is th

"I believe the only sync is the stamp mark on the throttle advance plate that runs the throttle rod on the carb. When it reaches the stop it should be holding the throttle plate wide open. If out of adjustment, you have to loosen the cinch bolts and move the cam to the right spot.

Glad to hear of your success. That pressure tank is priceless (almost). and the fuel connector-$50.00.

When running right we could start those by just spinning the flywheel with our hands."

Back