Logo

115 HP Evinrude crank case gone

buggle

I know what that saying is all

I know what that saying is all about related to boat owners.(B-break O-out A-another T-thousand) I removed my crank and pistons. Found the worst thing I could find. One of the wrist pins had been driven right threw the crank case housing and the #4 crank rod seat is scored.
I could use some direction on how to proceed. If I am going to own a boat I need to know how to work on it. I would really like to rebuild a motor. Is it possible to purchase a used motor and rebuild it. Using the good parts I have and replace the bad rod/piston for less cost than buying one already rebuilt.I know it sounds insane BUT !!! I was really getting into the rebuilding process. I can purchase a rebuilt power head for $1500 but they want a good core. I really need feed back.

"i like,ur drive!...u can find

"i like,ur drive!...u can find u another block,have yours repaired,etc...what year,is this eng????"

"It is a 1985 115hp Evinrude.

"It is a 1985 115hp Evinrude. I believe it is a crossflow, the exhaust manifold has a hump and the pistons are half dome. I will also need a new or used head, piston with rod and bearings, and another crank. As I mentioned the #4 piston rod did damage to the crank when the cage bearing broke up. Would I be taking a risk in purchasing a salvage power head. Thanks for the support. any input will be appreciated"

"I have just rebuilt my 1977 7

"I have just rebuilt my 1977 70HP that lost compression in No1 cylinder. I purchased a sized complete unit (tunrs out water was in no.2 & the wrist pin bearin rusted), and used the crank & rod from it plus a few other parts, new pistons & bearings etc. I followed the manual & advice from this forum and she fired second crank! Saved a heap of cash and had fun doing it! Have a go if you are mechanically minded. But as others have said on this forum, find out why she failed in the first place, you don't want to rebuild and not cure the original problem"

"Richard I believe if I replac

"Richard I believe if I replace the crank/casing and head/piston. Use all new bearings and gaskets check and mic all components, it should be pretty near new. one thing I do know is if it does break again it's my own fault. Like you said with the help of seloc manual and this forum I should have a really good motor."

"Respectfully, you have just m

"Respectfully, you have just made your first mistake.
But it can be fixed!!!

Ditch the Seloc, and get an OMC factory manual."

"Doug OK I'm in, what mist

"Doug OK I'm in, what mistake did I make. I am wide open for any suggestions to help me get back on the water."

"if only ONE,..cyl fails---it

"if only ONE,..cyl fails---it is not,..due to VRO/OMS pump---USUALLY,.due to carbs..."

Joseph....just don't use t

Joseph....just don't use the Seloc...that's what I was referring to....
Good luck tho in your repair effort!

Thanks Doug is there a store I

Thanks Doug is there a store I can buy the OMC manual or do I need to order it online.

JBW should I check the reed for that cylinder to see if it is clogged and rebuild my carbs.
The crank rod bearing is what caused all the damage when the needle bearings got into the cylinder. So if the carb was bad for that port it would destroy the rod bearing.
Thanks alot you guys this input is great. I hope one day I can help someone on this forum with my experience. I will have photo's of this rebuild to share when its done.

"Why sure!
Try here : [url="

"Why sure!
Try here : http://www.outboardbooks.com/
Or may be on this site itself.

Be sure to correct the problem that caused the failure in the first place. You have got to really analyze the failed parts and try to determine the cause of the catastrophe.

Sounds like your block is history. Are you going to get a used p'head and swap it on? How do you plan to proceed?"

Could someone please tell me w

Could someone please tell me what core is interchangible with the 1985 115 hp bubble exstaust Evinrude. I need a crank case and crank to finish this project. It would be nice to get a motor/power head in need of rebuilding.I did not see anything on craigs list in Tampabay

Joseph give Vaun at powerheade

Joseph give Vaun at powerheadexchange.com a call I traded him 2 1978/1979 140 cores he will let you know if this works for you.

"Found this just a few pages d

"Found this just a few pages down from the engine....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXHAUST-SYSTEM-JOHNSON-EVINRUDE-90-115-140_W0QQit emZ130305152210QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item1e56cad4d 2&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A3|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Yep, it looks like you could swap carbs and exhaust bubble from your old motor to make a 115 out of the above shown 90. You would have a spare lower unit, T/T, all electricals...
And you can sorta step into this fix easily...swapping a powerhead is much easier than a full rebuild. Probably cost about the same, too.

That is the way I would do it...."

"And so he just fades away int

"And so he just fades away into the unburned two stroke oil slick, never to be heard from again...."

I am still here I got really s

I am still here I got really swamped with my real job. Thanks you guys I will look into these sites today and get back to everyone.

"J...
I just checked the reed

"J...
I just checked the reed block P/N and the intake manifold P/N and these parts are the same on both the 90 and the 115.

Hey, JWB, you must know this....what is the difference between the 90 and the 115? It looks like it is exhaust bubble and carbs only.
Is there any port timing difference?"

"I have been talking to a coup

"I have been talking to a couple of guys, and it is looking like the block is different between the 90 and the 115.
One experienced 40 year mechanic (reading this forum) even private e-mailed me to say that there was more to it than what we are discussing. He says the intake ports are smaller on the 90. I don't know what he means by intake ports UNLESS he is discussing the ports cut in the cylinder sleeves. That would explain why the there are two different P/Ns for the two blocks.

If that is the case, then the swap of parts probably would not work. But, it is an interesting question."

"Doug it looks like the oil sl

"Doug it looks like the oil slick is burning me away into a different motor. Maybe I will need to just drop this project, buy a good motor and start fishing again. I am just so reluctant on buying another used motor and going through this process whole process again. DOES ANYONE HAVE 12 THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A NEW ONE LOL"

Back