Logo

New to boats 1971 chrysler 45hp

muktown

hey everyone i am new to this

hey everyone i am new to this forum and have never owned a boat before. i just recently bought a 14ft fiberglass tri hull with a 1971 chrysler magnapower 45 hp. any known problems/things i should look out for? whats the gas-oil mix ratio for these? what things should i do for routine maintenece? any advice helps

thanks
-Justin

"50/1 is the gas ratio.Really

"50/1 is the gas ratio.Really work horse motor for chrysler. Simple magneto -set points to .020. Check lower for good oil and change- put in new water pump, Only issues were a shift yoke in the lower did not like any pre-load from the shift cable. Just get in gear and no more. Run out of gas after each use, (disconnect fuel line) Put a clear fuel line between the fuel pump and the hose connector. Those "o" rings liked to leak air--look for bubbles. Compression should be almost the same-

Have fun-"

"These guys are Chrysler boat

"These guys are Chrysler boat and motor collectors:
www.chryslercrew.com

Franz who owns Franz Marine can be reached there and is very knowledgeable on Chrysler motors as he was a Chrysler dealer.
Bill"

so i have to run the carb dry

so i have to run the carb dry after each day i use it? i know the lower oil was just changed and the impeller is new. how do i check/set the points? how do i know if i need a new water pump? what are the orings you are talking about? im guessing the fuel pump is right where the line from the gas tank connects to the motor? thanks guys

"The "O" rings are ins

"The "O" rings are inside the fuel connector from the tank.
The points are under the flywheel. The flywheel is shaken loose with a big hammer on a thread protector screwed into the end of the crank and tapped lightly with a big hammer while the flywheel is supported to save the top crank bearing. If your leaning the flywheel over- your to tight on the wedge. Line up the keyway with the wedge. This is a special key which runs the points cam also. Set points to .020 and make sure they fire exactly opposite one another.

Fuel pump is on the starboard side where the line from the fuel connector goes under the carb and to the pump then back to the carb. Some people put a clear line there to check for air bubbles -indicating an air leak in the fuel system.

Change the water pump every 2 years in salt water and 5 years in fresh. If the engine ever mysteriously stops-- remove the cover and put your hand near the exhaust cover-or splash some water on the cylinder head. If it sizzels, your pump quit- do not run it in."

Back