Logo

Crusader 454 correct temperture readings

contender31

Regular Contributor
"I have a 1996 3100 Tiara with

"I have a 1996 3100 Tiara withtwin 454 Crusaders. The port engine running at 4000 RPM shows 180 and the starboard engine runs at 160. Is this common?, should I be concerned? and what are the ramifications if not corrected? The impellers, heat exchangers and risers have been replaced recently. What is the optimal temperatur for these engines at 3800 - 4000 RPM ?

Thanks and I appreciate your feedback."

"First of all, you shouldn&#39

"First of all, you shouldn't be running those engines at "3,800 to 4,000" rpms, Those are long stroke engines and the piston speed at that rpm is horrendous! Most people run them well below 3,500. On the other hand, I hear people screaming them all the way down the rriver at 4 grand and higher. Yikes!

Before assuming one of your engines is running a different temperature than the other, you need to see what they are actually doing, and gages don't tell you that. (They can be off a lot.) Buy an infrared temp gun, then "shoot" the motors and exhaust systems to see what's really happening. Then you'll know for sure.

Jeff"

"Hey, if its a sea trial, a sh

"Hey, if its a sea trial, a short WOT test is not unreasonable. I run mine occasionally at WOT, its a good test of fuel pump, fuel filter health, and also cooling system capacity. And one time, I found a marginal big end bearing!! It spun on me.
lol.gif
. In all seriousness, if the engine puts up with 3 minutes at WOT and keeps temperature, it's likely got nothing serious wrong with it."

"Yes the 4000 RPM test was the

"Yes the 4000 RPM test was the real stress test. Th first seatrial on the same boat runinf at the same RPM produced the exhaust to blow out on the port engine thus repairs were needed. This is how the risers,impellers and heat exchangers got replaced. I went on the second trial to see if the enghine could nahdle the stress again and this is when the temperature differences showed. As you know there is no service station on the water and being stranded on the Atlantic is not a good practice. By the way does anyone know the actual fuel economy( GPH ) with this boat and engines at cruise ( 3500 RPM )?

Thanks first night on this site great feedback
"

I might sdd that I had the bo

I might sdd that I had the boat thoroghly surveyed and mechanically tested before the first sea trial. I spent the entire day with both. If I wasn't getting such a great buy I wouldn;t still be on it today.

If I decide to buy this boat t

If I decide to buy this boat the entire electronic package needs to be replaced. Dies anyone have a discount site to buy equipment? I like the Garmin stuff. As well I would like to add outriggers.

Thanks

"The '96 has prop pockets,

"The '96 has prop pockets, correct? That boat/motor combo gets ~.75nm/gal at 3200rpm, around 19 kts. With the 19" dia props.
3500 is a bit high for long duration cruise economy. If WOT is 4000, 3500 is pretty heavily loaded as well.
That's a high quality, well built boat.
Normal cruise temp is 165+/- out of the thermostat housings. Don't assume the gauges are accurate."

"Try the GPS store ([url="

"Try the GPS store (http://www.thegpsstore.com/) for chartplotters, marine radar, etc. Good selection with the best prices I have seen anywhere. I'm fond of the Garmin stuff, too, and the Tiara 31 Open is a very desirable and well built boat. Good luck."

"Gary,

Its amazing how we a

"Gary,

Its amazing how we all eventually go thru that same series of questions and emotions when it's our boat. As for the Garmin stuff. We have a complete 4212 bundle system including the GFS 10 network fuel management system and LOVE IT !!! Try GetFeetWet on line also."

"As previously said I would wa

"As previously said I would want to check further into the 180 motor, there is a reason it is running hotter than the other. What exactly do you mean by "produced the exhaust to blow out on the port engine"?

Call or email Tiara and they will send you the performance specs for that year/model/setup, they are fantastic to deal with. If have HIN they may be able to also send you the original sales slip. They still had the one for my 1988 31'.

Try boatfix.com"

Check your belts for the seawa

Check your belts for the seawater pump. I found my screws kept loosening and letting the pump slide enough for the belt to get slack under speed.

I could see the belt jumping out of the groove in the wheel while under way. Plus too much slack on belt while stopped. (Too much = moves over 1/2" when pushing on belt)

Back