Logo

Water in oil

oldhog

"Question for old mechanics an

"Question for old mechanics and others. On a 454 Crusaider that had a blown head gasker, now repaired. And Engine oil and filter changed. There is a slight indication of water in the oil. Left over from the old problem. How long do you think I can run the engine, before changine a second or third time. Keeping below 2000 rpm. Color getting better as engine runs. Infact engine running better as time goes on."

"It takes a few oil changes to

"It takes a few oil changes to flush all that water out. Is your PCV system working correctly? If not, the moisture contnet in the oil will get even worse.

Jeff"

"This might sound radical, but

"This might sound radical, but I'd run that engine harder to evaporate out the water faster. You need a high oil temp to do that. I think the bigger issue is rusting, not lubrication, so I'd want to get that water out asap, and running it hard will do that. As per Jeff, make sure the vent hoses are clear."

"My plan is to run it 20 hours

"My plan is to run it 20 hours and at no more than 2000 rpm. then change it. The valvecover hoses are attached and working. I've got 3/4 hour on it now, and oil looks better that on start up. Do yuo guys think I should change it quicker?"

"I'd go with Dave's ap

"I'd go with Dave's approach. You need the prolonged temperature to release as much water as possible. As long as the head bolts were properly fastened, I run it up on plane and go for couple hours minimum. Running it at idle, at the doc, will NOT get things hot enough to provide any benefit, especially for short intervals.

Depending upon how much crude entered the block on the repair, I might change the filter at 10 hours but would go at least 25 before worrying about changing the oil again."

Back