Logo

Wiring Help needed

floater1

Regular Contributor
"As you may know I pulled my e

"As you may know I pulled my engine ('78 OMC 225) last fall. Shes painted up nice and is back in the boat. I labeled the wiring before disassembly. A few of my labels fell off over the winter and I am unsure where the following wires hook up to. These wires are next to the harness above the alternator. I took pictures as its easier to show than explain. What are these wires for specifically and where do I hook up each wire?

#1 wire is yellow in color and runs from the wire loom that runs along the passenger of the block to the back of the engine

#2 wire is black and it runs from the temp sensor module thats on the thermostat housing.

#3 wire is pinkish in color and runs from the wire loom that runs along the passenger side of the block to the back of the engine.

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1495/10413626/18646395/366747372.jpg"

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1495/10413626/18646395/366747300.jpg"

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1495/10413626/18646395/366747236.jpg"

My camera doesn't like super close up shots so hopefully you can see the weird connectors on the ends of the wires."

"Hi. Are you sure of the hp. a

"Hi. Are you sure of the hp. and the year?I have wire diagram for 185,200,230,260 and they are the same. Then I have for the 250 all of theese are 1978 models. The 1979 knows a 225 hp."

I was hoping one of the OMC me

I was hoping one of the OMC mechanics here would be able to answer based on the pics and description I have given so far.

Maybe you could figure it out

Maybe you could figure it out if you got the diagram. I don`t have the same engine like you so I can`t tell about the pics.

"Niklas, if no one here on thi

"Niklas, if no one here on this board knows what these connectors go to than I guess studying a diagram is my last resort. I can't believe I stumped the experts here, lol. Someone here has to have worked on this particular model OMC at some point. If you click on my user name my email address is in my profile."

"Ok, said wires in question go

"Ok, said wires in question go to raise and lower the drive? Does that sound accurate?"

"I dont think you " stumpe

"I dont think you " stumped the experts ". Your camera took a blurry shot. I have the same engine, and cant figure it out. I'll look in the Seloc Manual.You should invest in one......."

"Ok, sorry about the blury pic

"Ok, sorry about the blury pics before, I used a different camera this time. Here they are:

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1495/10413626/18646395/367240498.jpg"

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1495/10413626/18646395/367240456.jpg"

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1495/10413626/18646395/367240420.jpg"<a href=""http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1495/10413626/18646395/367240570.jpg""" target=""_blank"">

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1495/10413626/18646395/367240570.jpg"</a>"

Black is always ground.get a 1

Black is always ground.get a 12volt test light and ground it to the battery.isolate the wires test unknown circuits for power.trace wires to components not wired repair damaged wires.whats missing off your engine.that is what a mech/tech would have to do without help of diagram.

"It LOOKS to me that #2 is the

"It LOOKS to me that #2 is the connection for your Stern Drive electrical connection. I say that, because the connector looks like the one I unhooked to get the wire out the transom.As for the other 2, I have no clue...YET. I looked in the book, but cannot seem to find your schematic. There are many wiring diagrams, and I have a deuce of a time with wiring. Hope this helps a bit.I haven't figured out which schematic is for MY boat, yet.
Are the pictures of the BACK of the engine? I'll try to get to my boat this weekend,(as I'm scheduled to do more work on seat installation) and take some pictures of the back of MY engine, and post them.

Scott"

"Thanks everyone for the help

"Thanks everyone for the help so far especially Scott!. You guys really are my lifeline here. I have been researching a wiring diagram myself but so far no luck. As I said earlier I had labeled these when I took everything apart but a few labels fell off over the winter. I took pictures of the things I'd need for reference. Unfortunatley I did not feel the need at the time to take any pics of these particular connectors. More troubling is I don't even remember unhooking these connections at all. I have been looking for their female connector counterparts, thinking maybe I inadvertantly pulled them down the wire loom with no success. These connectors seem unique I don't see any same or similar connectors anywhere else on the engine. The wires in question are in a bunch of wires that are located portside at the front of the block just above where the alternator mounts. Here is a picture to put it in perspective:

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1495/10413626/18646395/366748591.jpg""

"In that case, I'll take a

"In that case, I'll take a picture of the FRONT ,PORT side of my engine, and post asap.

S."

Help! Can anyone steer me in

Help! Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to what these are and how to hook them up?

Couple of diagrams I looked at

Couple of diagrams I looked at indicate there is a 16 ga yellow wire coming off the F terminal of the alternator. There is also the normal 10 ga orange wire coming off the B terminal. Is your yellow wire able to reach the alt or is there already a wire there?

"THIS, is the description of t

"THIS, is the description of the "Resistor Wire" model.Models "H" and "H1" IF yous has a Ballast Resistor, then there will be no Purple-Red Wire.

I show the Orange 10 G. coming off B side of Alt, going to Main disconnect. Yellow 16 gauge goes to Voltage Regulator. Purple with knife-disconnect from Voltage Regulator goes to Main disconnect.
It shows a red, 2 Ohm resistor Wire running to the + side of Coil, spliced off this.

This is the Ballast Resistor Model.

Model "D".

A light Green 16 Gauge from Voltage Regulator to Field side of Alt.Purple 16 gauge, from Volt Regulator to Ballast Resistor. There will be a SECOND Purple 16 gauge coming from the Main Disconnect as well to this terminal. A Purple-Black 16 gauge goes from Starter Solenoid to other side of Ballast Resistor. Another Purple-Black completes the jump To the Positive Side of Coil.
A Gray 16 gauge goes from Neg side of Coil to Main Disconnect.

I'm tired now...think I'll have a Nap."

"Thank you for the assistance!

"Thank you for the assistance! Bob, the yellow wire runs along the passenger side all the way to the back of the engine and appears to hook into controlling the tilting of the drive possibly."

"OK Robert....This setup is mu

"OK Robert....This setup is much older than me
lol.gif
am I correct in assuming those wires should be somewhere near those 2 solenoids? If so are they the trim or tilt solenoids? And is that the alternator just below them? Looking at the picture you posted on June 17th"

"The wires in question I belie

"The wires in question I believe are where they should be, there is no excess slack in them. Yes that is the alternator just below."

Looking at a 1978 diagram for

Looking at a 1978 diagram for 200/230 (doesn't list the 225) with Selectrim. Shows a pink 10 ga wire coming from the start assist solenoid going to the down tilt solenoid and then a pink jumper from there over to tilt up solenoid. This looks to be the 12v "hot" wire to these as it actually comes from a 50 amp fuse. Is the pink wire hot?(live) Do you know if those 2 solenoids by the alternator are tilt or trim?

"Bob, at this moment I am unsu

"Bob, at this moment I am unsure if the pink wire is hot and also unsure if those solenoids are tilt vs trim. I will check when I get back to the shop.

I was thinking someone here had the same or similar engine and could just look at theirs and say what my 3 connectors should hook up to. I wasn't meaning to re-invent the wheel or re-investigate the Kennedy assasination here
lol.gif
"

"I know you were hoping for a

"I know you were hoping for a quick fix here but it doesn't appear that any of the other members here either have the same setup or can get to theirs to help so I thought I would take a crack at it but I'm just going on some diagrams I have and those pesky questions I've been asking you. Not trying to be a pain
sad.gif
just trying to help a bit
happy.gif
"

"I realize that Bob. I'm

"I realize that Bob. I'm just trying to keep things a little light hearted. This whole predicament is my own fault. I should have taken some pictures before I disconnected this area but I thought my labels would be fine but they fell off over the winter. I guess I did not realize until this thread that my particular OMC set-up seems to be somewhat rare nowdays. I will keep on trying to utilize the diagrams that I have and one I even recieved from a board member here and I thank you all for your help up to this point!! I can not stress that enough. If it weren't for the folks here I would not even be this far in the process and I realize that. Please don't take my attempts, albeit lame, at humor, to be anything other than that. I have been to the point on other projects of throwing wrenches and cussing like an angry sailor. I am trying my best to avoid returning to those days as that solves nothing. Just trying to keep this project from turning into a mechanical black hole. Again, thank you Bob and everyone else who has helped me I appreciate it very much!"

Back