Logo

Power steering gear removal

srp1

"Need to remove the bell housi

"Need to remove the bell housing on a 1980 OMC 800 stringer mount stern drive. I have a water leak between the exhaust section and engines output shaft tube. It appears to be at the "O-ring" location between the bell housing and intermediate housing.

Anyway my question is how do you get the steering gear box off the intermediate housing?
I need to remove it in order to gain access to the bell housing nuts behind it.

Thanks in advance for you time, and expertise."

Remove or carefully move the d

Remove or carefully move the drive to port so the steering shaft is free to be pulled backwards.(careful with the shift cable.)
Remove the big alu-ring on the outside and remove the bellow from the transom. Then remove the plastic cover from the wire-drum. It is a screw going through the drum locking it to the shaft. Take out the screw and pull out the shaft.

"Thank you for the quick reply

"Thank you for the quick reply.
I did not clarify my steering system enough, I have power steering, and not the tru-course which is what you have described above.
However, after reading your post I came the conclusion that the answer to my mystery must lay behind the transom boot. So off came the drive and boot, and presto there was the cotter pin which held the steering gear in place. Pulled the pin and victory was mine.
Thanks again for your reply, your idea sent me in the right direction."

Back