Logo

Single engine versus two get home motor question

igloo

"Considering a 75 foot trawler

"Considering a 75 foot trawler. Has a 1999 375 horsepower Caterpillar diesel engine, model 3408. If anyone has had any experience with this particular motor, I would appreciate your input.

Main question is this. The boat has a 25 foot beam. My concern is a get you home motor if something happened to the main Cat. With a 25 foot beam, are there any recommendations for utilization of a get home motor, or would this be nearly impractical. Thanks for any help."

"I'd suggest an inboard wo

"I'd suggest an inboard would be impractical for weight, hookup ability etc. If you really tried hard, maybe a hydraulic pump/motor chain driven (leave the chain dosconnected until needed)onto the main shaft (Gen set engine maybe with clutched hydraulic pump.) Or maybe you could fit a nice 200HP outboard somewhere, even stowed aboard until required. Slow, but get you home eventually."

"I think some spare parts like

"I think some spare parts like injectors, water pump etc. would be a good investment and a membership to a towing service if all else fails. The cost and inconvenience of a second motor in space and weight is a poor choice in my opinion.

The Cat 3408 is a good dependable Engine. With proper maintenance and inspection should not leave you stranded."

"Ayuh,... A pair of 10hp Outbo

"Ayuh,... A pair of 10hp Outboards would get you home,...
If the wind,+ water were goin' that way...."

Back