Logo

Best 4 stroke

thibs53

Does anyone know what consumer

Does anyone know what consumer reports say about the best 4 stroke engine to purchase in the lines of reliability and maintenance minimized. Looking to purchase and not sure which to buy. Honda is at the top of my list but lots of others that look good. What do ya think?

Don't think Consumer Repor

Don't think Consumer Reports has ever rated marine engines.

What size engine are you looking for? Is outboard your only option? Why four-stroke only?

As for the best engine - you'll get opinions all over the place.

"Four stroke because of quiet,

"Four stroke because of quiet, gas mileage, and smooth running reliability. Looking at a 25 or 30 hp Honda. Outboard is the only option in my case."

I think its just personal pref

I think its just personal preference. I agree with the fuel economy an smooth operation. I just bought a 115 yamaha 4 stroke not to long ago and love it. I only went yami because i have not heard the greatest things about the other outboard dealers in my area. So i went with the dealer who has been honest and treating me good for the last 15 years.

"Yes - Paul is correct - the r

"Yes - Paul is correct - the reputation of the dealer is more important than any other consideration. If there is an issue, you want the dealer to be your advocate. Also, extended warranties are realatively cheap and worth the money.

I've never owned a four stroke in that horsepower range, so I can't give much advice. Here on the Chesapeake, both the Yamaha's and the Honda's have great reputations. However, you see a lot more Yama's than Honda's in that hp range out on the water."

Back