Logo

Repair a tilt motor

crabbie72

"I have a aq130c with 270 leg.

"I have a aq130c with 270 leg. The tilt motor on the port side does not always work. It is not working now. I tested and have power at the switch. And when switched I have power at the connection to the motor. The connection seems good and corrosion free. I am not getting any noise or movement at all.

I removed the tilt motor, it is an Arco 6223. I can't seem to get the sides off to see whats going on inside. I can get them away from the casing about 1/4inch then it snaps back. Is there a trick or do I just have to apply more pressure?

Also has anyone repaired these? Is there brushes that could be replaced?

Thanks,
Dave"

"I was able to get it apart, t

"I was able to get it apart, there is a small pin in the shaft that I pounded out with a nail and slid the whole thing apart.

there are brushes, although not easily replaced, I think the housing is soldered/riveted onto the plate.

But the brushes look okay, the commutator looks okay.

The only part that isn't perfect is the metal pieces that are by the magnets. They are a little corroded.
could this be causing it to not work all the time?

Anyone have any luck with these little motors?
Thanks"

"Well I guess I am now the mar

"Well I guess I am now the marineengine expert on tilt motors.

I took my dremel tool with a wire brush and cleaned up the tarnished metal that go around the wires. Put it back together and it works.

Not sure if this is a good fix or if I am inbetween breakdowns, time will tell."

"David, time will tell whether

"David, time will tell whether the fix works or not. Personally, I would be more inclined to replacing the motor when it start to work funny, but since these little motors are pricey I can see your point. This is why I always have around a couple of complete tilt units ready to be swapped, just in case....
biggrin.gif
"

"I agree with you El, the reas

"I agree with you El, the reason I was willing to try this way is that I moor my boat in the ocean and I have trim tabs installed. So barring any problem, the only reason I have to raise the motor is to trailer it at the end of the season. And worse comes to worse I could lift it by hand and tie it in the up position.

And yes they are pricey little motors."

"Good job David. My 270's

"Good job David. My 270's tilt motor stopped working a couple summers ago and I was lucky enough to find another one at a local marine salvage place for less than half what a new one would have cost. Hopefully, it will last a while."

Good work-- kind of a pain the

Good work-- kind of a pain these little motors- the ones I've worked on were Electrolux- They had a bi-metal temp breaker built into them and were real hard to get clean. So like EL says- time will tell.

Back