Logo

1996 Johnson 4hp Seahorse Removing air silencer

"I am in need of cleaning the

"I am in need of cleaning the carb on this motor however I am having trouble removing the air silencer. I removed the 2 screws holding the 2 sections together, disassembled the choke lever assembly and the thing wont budge. I can't see any other screws holding it. It sits right on top of the carb under the magneto ... Any ideas."

"Looking at the parts diagram,

"Looking at the parts diagram, it looks like there are 2 screws at the top holding the cover to the air silencer on, and 2 longer ones at the bottom that screw into the carb."

Yes came to the same conclusio

Yes came to the same conclusion as John Parker but was puzzled by the statement that it sits on top of the carb.

"Actually, it is a 1997 model

"Actually, it is a 1997 model J4REU .. I noticed also on diagrams that the screws sit on top, not the case with mine. Actually, the screws are on the side facing the pull starter so I removed those screws yet the unit doesn't come off. In fact, you can't even get the 2 halves separated after the screws are removed and the choke assembly disconnected from the carb. ??"

"Is this what your air silence

"Is this what your air silencer looks like? If so, there should be TWO #34 screws, and TWO #41 screws, holding the air silencer in place!

285337.jpg
Air silencer

Back