Logo

327 Dip Stick

bergerdon

How long is the dip stick &#40

How long is the dip stick (in inches)for the 327cu.in. with fly wheel aft? I put in 8 qts. and the oil level doesn't reach the dip stick. I think someone put in a car dip stick
Don

"Don, The dipstick from tip to

"Don, The dipstick from tip to the stop is 12". The "low" notch is 1" from the bottom tip and the "normal" notch is 2" up. The capacity for the engine should be 6 to 7 qts depending on the angle that the engine sits in the boat. After adding a remote oil filter on my 327 I found I had to add another 1 1/2 qts to bring it back to normal. After changing oil run the engine for a few minutes and then check the level again.
Cal"

"Cal,
My dip stick is 22 3/4&

"Cal,
My dip stick is 22 3/4" and the holder is 14 1/2" from engine block. How long is your holder?
Don"

"Wow! I measured the holder to

"Wow! I measured the holder to the block and it is 3". Try taking a coat hanger and inserting it in the hole to touch the bottom of the pan. Make a mark on the wire where the top of the holder is and measure it, compare it with your dipstick and then you will get an accurate reading of where the oil level is compared to the markings on the dipstick. I think as long as you have good oil pressure while running you will be safe.
I didn't mention that my 225C 327ci is a flywheel forward, that might make a difference in where the stick is placed on the block. Here's a pic of the dipstick, crowded in there but you get the idea.
285332.jpg
327 dipstick

"Before I remodel my holder, I

"Before I remodel my holder, I need to have the engine in the boat and in the water. The holder enters the block on the left side about midway. Looking from the aft end of a aft end flywheel. I was just courious what the factory sent out.
Don"

Back