Logo

Sherwood E35 and Engine Rotation

knuckle47

Advanced Contributor
"I had never thought of this b

"I had never thought of this before BUT.. When I rebuilt the Sherwood E-35 raw water pumps on our boat, I placed the impellers into the cavity with a slight twist that created the future shape of the operating impeller. I did not take into consideration the counter-rotating engine AND for that matter, possibly installed BOTH impellers with the wrong vane positions. Do they SELF-POSITION based on rotation after start up?

This may be in the install sheet but since I really did not read it thru completely LAST YEAR, so now I am not sure that I did it correctly. It just dawned on me after reading Dave's other post. Come to think of it, COULD that be what ATE the vanes off of the little pump on the Westerbeke generator last month? While just replacing it the same way solved that issue, I wonder.

I have not had any problems but I just don't know the answer on this one AND IT IS all about prevention..."

"..."Do they SELF-POSITION

"..."Do they SELF-POSITION based on rotation after start up? "

NO!! Some of the blades may flip over, but there's always one that won't--and guess what happens to it after flexing the wrong way a few thousand times!

Jeff

PS: Had this argument lots of times with outboards, and I've always won!"

"Al:

I solved that problem

"Al:

I solved that problem using a little white out. when pulling the pump for service, i paint an arrow on the pulley showing its rotation. when the impellor goes in, you spin it with the arrow and push it down...no need to rely on my overloaded memory this way!!
thumbs_up.gif
"

"Jeff,

I know what happens

"Jeff,

I know what happens NOW...They Break OFF in a way that leaves you dumbfounded as to why the cooling water just isn't flowing. I had rebuilt a small pump on the Westerbeke genny but never ran it. Almost 2 years later I had started it up but saw NO water from the port. When I opened the back of the pump again, 5 slices of rubber fell out. ALL PERFECTLY clean cut vanes.

As I replayed the video tape in my brain the other night ( this happens when you get older), IT suddenly dawned on me about this entire thing !

Now I am wondering what other video replays will yield ! From now on Mark, I am using an electric engraver"

Back