Logo

Building marine engine with 350 block and 882 heads

chris0061

"OK, I've got a Chevy 350

"OK, I've got a Chevy 350 block sitting on my kitchen table, wife loves that, and heads, I'm getting a crank and cam out of a 84 mercruiser 260. A machine shop is going to check everything out, make sure the bore is right on the refreshed block and decide what pistons to get. I'll put the 260 intake manifold on and I have a set of cast center riser exhaust manifolds to put on. It's going in a 81 boat and I have the 84 transom shield and plate and y pipe, coupler, flywheel. I also have the thunderbolt ignition wich I was wondering if I should use that or the points system that is in the 81 mercruiser wich is also a 260? Also is there any thing else I should be wanting to get to build a good engine, IE certain lifters, rockers, rods exc exc. Look forward to all the advise."

"I'm getting a crank a

"I'm getting a crank and cam out of a 84 mercruiser 260."

Send them out to be inspected and refurbished at a crank shop. Don't put old used parts in critical places; crank and cam. You are doing a rebuild so don't skimp on parts. Get the pushrods refurbished or replace w/new.

The TB ignition is a good system. Do you have the dist. and wiring that came w/it?

"I have all the wiring, dist.

"I have all the wiring, dist. starter, Alt. I just would have to figure out how to install it all, I take the refreshed block in tomorrow, the machine shop has the 84 already, He does marine rebuilds for the reputable and really only shop around here. I'll make sure when I talk to him to have the cam and crank checked out. He said he was going to make sure the connecting rods were good so I think he knows his stuff. If there is anything I should ask him tomorrow let me know OK? Thanks"

Back