Logo

How do I set the points on AQ131A

mikeeh206

New to boat.
I'm trying t

New to boat.
I'm trying to set the point on my '86 Penta 275 AQ131A 2.3 motor. Can someone please walk me on how to set the point. Is the gap .016
Thank in advance
Mike

that would be the tight side I

that would be the tight side I would go .020. Pop the distributor cap and rotor. Turn the engine over by hand till it is on #1 and set the rubbing block on the little lobe of the distributor shaft. Adjust by loosening the clamp down screw just enough so it moves with the screwdriver in the little slot and against a small pin for leverage. After adjusted- put a small piece of paper in the gap and turn the motor to close the points on the paper- draw the paper out near the edge and open the points and withdraw the paper. See if the paper is clean. Take a tooth pic and load it with some "cam grease" and deposit the grease in the rubbing block. That will keep the points adjusted longer.

Now re-assemble and start it up (on the flusher attachment) and re set the timing.

Put it all

"thank William,
how do I turn

"thank William,
how do I turn the engine over by hand. and what do you mean #1 do you mean cyc. # 1 at the far back plug? Sorry new to this any help is greatly appreciated.
Mike"

"It makes no difference on whi

"It makes no difference on which cylinder the engine is TDC on for setting contact point gap.
However, point gap at best is an estimate only of the more important setting of "Dwell Angle".
Point dwell angle is what you should be setting this up for... not gap, IMO.

With this four cylinder engine, the angle between each cam lobe is 90° and the period of points closure or dwell is approximately 40-45° of cam rotation. This is per cylinder!
See your Volvo Penta OEM manual for the proper dwell angle spec.
Example: 90° per cylinder minus a 45° dwell angle leaves 35°.
This 35° (after the coil saturation and collapse) is the dedicated cooling cycle for the coil.

Yes, always reset/check timing when changing dwell.
."

"Thanks Ricardo,
I just order

"Thanks Ricardo,
I just order the hot spark electronic kit should get it by Tommorrow. I need to remove the condensor ,is the condensor under the rotor and cap and what is the best way to remove it. what is the best way to set timing. THanks for all input.
Mike"

"Well, you may want to researc

"Well, you may want to research this Hot Spark unit a little bit. Seems we just had a member have another one of these go bad.
The Pertronix unit seems to be a better unit.
Check and see what you find out.

El P..... you may know more about this.... any thoughts?
Rick "

"Ricardo, I don't know muc

"Ricardo, I don't know much about Hot Spark except that a few forum members have reported problems with it. I understand that Pertronix' patent expired recently and Hot Spark is a clone trying to get a piece of the market. Interestingly enough, it seems that Hot Spark has quite a good reputation in automotive forums.

If the reported problems with Hot Spark units installed in VP distributors (Bosch) were resolved for good and the unit became as reliable as Pertronix, I would not hesitate in recommending it, mainly because the price is much cheaper. Hopefully, more forum members who have bought and installed Hot Spark electronic ignition kits will post their experiences here."

"I started out with Hot Spark

"I started out with Hot Spark but everyone was hyping petronics as being superior so I changed over. No difference. However, the Hot Spk doughnut came apart with handling. Reported to the manuf. and he replaced it free of charge. fwiw...."

"Do you have spark yet? With a

"Do you have spark yet? With all the changes- I was wondering if you got the spark yet. You might invest in the multi spark tester and see how your doing on all cylinders. Gotta say "bet your glad that do-nut went to pieces in your hand and not coming over the bar at Brookings!"

If your getting spark, would try a shot of fuel down the carb and see if you have a fuel starvation problem.

Edit; concerning the points set on no. 1-- I do that as that is the cyl the timing lite is connected to and gives you a "standard" for checking the rest of the timing spots looking for a possible low cam lobe. If #2 is not on the same mark- something is wrong with the distributor. So ya solid state ignition modal makes all that irrelevant."

Thanks for everyone input and

Thanks for everyone input and help. Yes the motor is running.I found my filler gage and set it at .018. but now the water is not being pump thru raw water pump. water is not being suck up the circulating pump. Took out the impeller. Impeller look fine but the gasket on the back was really bad. Just wonder if anyone here has try to remove the two copper bushing or rebuilt the raw water pump for aq131a

"That pump is re buildable, bu

"That pump is re buildable, but it can run a long time with the impeller changes. One problem it did have was when the new impeller and shaft were reinstalled thru the 2 seals, there was also an "O" ring flinger (between the seals)which usually got caught on the slot which fits the cam and would cause the seal spring on the oil side to come off.- then you did have to rebuild or at least re-seal it. Than thin gasket that disolves must be replaced. (I've made them out of yellow pages in an emergency.) Re-assemble with lots of grease on the seals, impeller and water line "O" rings. If the shaft won't fit back in, bump the motor over with the starter to find the cross bar the pump is driven over-(pull coil lead)-"

"'there was also an "O

"'there was also an "O" ring flinger (between the seals)which usually got caught on the slot which fits the cam and would cause the seal spring on the oil side to come off.'

Don't quite get this. The seals are supposed to be installed back-to-back with the o-ring between. The oil-seal spring will face the engine, not the O-ring. How may it rip off the spring?
The O-ring is there in case the water seal (pump side) starts leaking. Water will then have to pass over the o-ring to reach the oil-seal but will be thrown off due to centrifugal forces. An important thing is NOT to grease the outer surface of the seals when installing as that may cause them to creep out, at least the water seal that has the pump pressure to fight."

"William and Morten, here is a

"William and Morten, here is a correction if I may. When you talk about two seals, I assume you must be talking about the raw water pump for the B18 and B20 blocks. Those pumps have two seals, but the pump for the OHC engines like the AQ131 only has one, and the spring side of the seal points toward the pump if I recall correctly.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/SEA_WATER_PUMP_855578/dm/cart_id.201899164--sessi on_id.204518720--store_id.366--view_id.324014

Mike, you can get that seal from several sources (including VP), just make sure the spring is stainless steel.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/SEA_WATER_PUMP_855578/dm/cart_id.201899164--sessi on_id.204518720--store_id.366--view_id.324014

There is a Sierra aftermarket kit (Sierra 18-3205) that contains the shaft, bushings and seal.

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-3205&returntopa ge=sierra_marine/sierra00818.htm

Your pump is a Johnson 10-32621. This page contains a list of all the parts for your pump, so that you can try to source them individually.

http://www.depcopump.com/catalog107/103.pdf"

"El:
You might be correct as

"El:
You might be correct as usual.
I just reacted to his 2-seals description and did not check the actual pump involved in the discussion.
I guess this is the pump You are discussing with seal #12:
285666.jpg
"

"Very easy. Remove old points,

"Very easy. Remove old points, take new and old points, throw them both in garbage and replace them with a Protonix electronic point set. You wont be sorry, I wasn't. Don't waste money on Hot Spark first as I did."

"I have Hot Spark running in m

"I have Hot Spark running in my boat just fine, but be careful, I needed a modified one because of the age of my boat, my distributor shaft was worn down.So let them know about it."

Back