Logo

Yamaha F150 2006 model wonbt Charge

jiffycop

"Hello All,
I need a little h

"Hello All,
I need a little help. I have a 2006 F150 (150 HP) Yamaha 4 stroke that is not charging at all. Sometimes, when the motor is first started, the volt meter will jump up to about 12 - 14 volts for about 3 seconds and then drop back to zero. I am thinking it might be a rectifier/regulator, but would like some additional insight before buying the part. Thanks."

"go over your electrical charg

"go over your electrical charging sytem carefully looking for loose or corroded connections, especially on and near the battery before going to a bad rectifier. the vibration, moisture and corrosion on an outboard can give problems. Good luck"

"Thanks, Robert. I checked al

"Thanks, Robert. I checked all of the connections and fuses and it seems like everything is tight and here is no evidence of any corrosion at all. I guess I was hoping for a simple solution, like you, but that doesn't seem to be the case."

"Robert,

Problem solved. I

"Robert,

Problem solved. I put a multi-meter on the battery terminals while the motor was off and while running and it was clear that there was a charge coming from the engine to the batteries. I went back over all of the wiring and this time removed the dash panel. The connections on the volt meter were tight and looked clean, but I removed them anyway and checked the terminals. One of the terminals seemed not really loose, but not tight either. I tightened it up about 1/2 turn and re-attached the terminal wires. When I restarted the engine it reflected that the batteries were charging.

Thanks for the help!

Mark"

"Mark,glad you're fixed..I

"Mark,glad you're fixed..I had a similar problem with my depth finder which would just cut off when I crossed a wake...turned out to be just a very small bit of corrosion in the 3Amp fuse holder to the unit..just cleaned the contacts with a bit of emory paper, put a dab of silicone compound to keep out moisture. I use a silicone compound made for the spark plug cap boots, but it works very well on all kinds of electrical connections...Auto-Zone"

Back