Logo

Fuse problem Ignition switch

gene_d

Regular Contributor
"I have a 1986 140 hp alpha1 g

"I have a 1986 140 hp alpha1 gen1.
The 15 amp breaker (feeding the key switch) trips at random times. Some weekends I can run all weekend without any problems, the next weekend it will trip it 6 times.
I will be cruising along, I will feel the engine start to die. I will look at the amp meter, It is pegged at the top- 20+ amps. I will reset the breaker, and off I can go. Sometimes for another 3 hours, sometimes for only 10 minutes. The amp meter usually reads 2 amps until this happens.
Any ideas?"

Any info on how to check for t

Any info on how to check for this.
I had the starter and alt rebuilt this winter.

Put a voltmeter on the battery

Put a voltmeter on the battery. Use a clamp on ammeter on the alt. output wire.

"I have a digital volt meter i

"I have a digital volt meter in the boat at all times.
I think amp meters can't be clamped on like volt meters. They must be in the line.
So I guess you mean check amps coming out of the alt.
Is this done as a test, or while I expect the problem to occur.
Will the volts go up when the amps do?
Will it be high volts, or high amps?"

"First check the charge of you

"First check the charge of your battery's cells. Use a 5 ball battery charge tester. All cells should be equally charged. If not then the battery is on its last leg. If the color of the acid in one or more cells is brown, that cell will be nearly dead. Get a new one.

Yes, get a clamp on at Sears and other auto suppliers for about $30.

While operating properly check the volts and amps w/o any load at idle and w/a load, blower, lights, etc. Those are baselines.

Alt. amps: yes

Test: yes and yes; leave it on and watch it.

Yes, volts and amps go up together

Yes, high (14.9+) volts and amps."

"if it works its a FLUKE
The

"if it works its a FLUKE
The 36 clamp meter at the bottom of the page is what there talking about.

http://assets.fluke.com/appnotes/electricalpower/B0270b_u.pdf

if its the volt meter on the helm your talking about I would also stick my head under the helm and trace some wires, a critter could be using some insulation off the wires to make a nest causing a short and the breaker to trip."

Great ideas guys. I never knew

Great ideas guys. I never knew of this type of tester. I have a battery tester with a lift lever inside. Do these work ok?
I don't know about checking the amps while I run. It is over pretty quick. I will sure try it.
Someone else told me to unhook all of the wires to the alt. and tape off the hot end. See if the problem goes away.
Thanks again.

Back