Logo

Tune up specs

agitator

Contributing Member
"Is there a dwell adjustment f

"Is there a dwell adjustment for the older 318 point type distributors? If so, how and what?"

"On a V-8 , dwell has always b

"On a V-8 , dwell has always been 28 - 32.
the higher the # the longer the points are closed.

The longer the points are closed - the bigger the magnetic field is allowed to build up in the coil,
the bigger the magnetic field - the bigger / hotter spark, available, if needed.

If its a dual point system, it's still 28 - 32, use a match book cover to block the 2nd set from closing while adjusting. When finished, there should be about a 42 deg. final result.

Fred 156-M"

"Thanks Fred, I always wondere

"Thanks Fred, I always wondered what 'dwell' was and did. How do you adjust it on a single contact Prestolite distributor?"

"I suppose this procedure is t

"I suppose this procedure is the same on any engine including the marine 318???

Adjust the points with a feeler gauge, as previously described, then attach the rotor and distributor cap.

Connect the dwell meter to the ignition circuit according to the manufacturer's instructions. One lead of the meter is connected to a ground and the other lead is connected to the distributor post on the coil. An adapter is usually provided for this purpose.

If the dwell meter has a set line on it, adjust the meter to zero the indicator.

Start the engine.

Be careful when working on any vehicle while the engine is running. Make sure that the transmission is in Neutral and that the parking brake is applied. Keep hands, clothing, tools, and test instrument wires clear of the rotating fan blades.

Observe the reading on the dwell meter. If the reading is within the specified range, turn the engine OFF, then remove the meter.

If the reading is above the specified range, the breaker point gap is too small. If the reading is below the specified range, the gap is too large. In either case, the engine must be stopped and the gap adjusted in the manner previously described. After making the adjustment, start the engine and check the reading on the dwell meter. When the correct reading is obtained, stop the engine, then disconnect the dwell meter.

Check the ignition timing, and adjust if necessary"

"Billy
I never use feeler g

"Billy
I never use feeler gauges. Just hook the meter up, adj the points , & crank the engine over (with the dist cap off) to check the Dwell meter reading / point gap. Re-gap the points till you get it close (I like to stay on the high side).
Install the cap & let it idle for the final check.

Dwell is a relation of time that the points are closed

Fred 156-M"

Back