Logo

1969 55hp johnson engine gets pressure locked

bloom

"I have a 1969 55hp johnson 3c

"I have a 1969 55hp johnson 3cylinder modle number ESL69A. I need some advice. I do not know much about boat motors. I will start from the begining. When I got the boat the motor I tryed to get the motor to run but there was no spark. I looked under the cover and found the wiring was all coroded every wire was touching each other so I rewired that hoping it would start. That was a no go. So I had the AMP checked and it was bad. While waiting for the parts to come in I had checked compression at each cylinder it was 120psi at all cylinders. so I replaced the AMP, the coil and the rectifier. After instaling the parts I finaly got spark. I installed the plugs and tryed to start it hoping it would start all it did was turn over. I forgot to prime the fuel so once I primed the fuel and tried to turn it over the motor go prussured locked (or what ever it is called) it spin about a half turn stop for a second or two and spin another half turn so on so on just like the battry is dead. I take the plugs out and the motor turns over fine. so if some one can tell me what would be causing this pressure lock in my boat motor I would greatly appreciate it."

"Very unlikely that the engine

"Very unlikely that the engine has developed a hydraulic lockup situation. What you've described comes across as a voltage drop to the electric starter (or a faulty starter).

Make sure you have a good battery which is fully charged. Remove, clean all cable end terminals and the components that they attach to. This includes the battery terminals, the starter solenoid, and the ground at the powerhead.

With a good known fully charged battery, to check the starter, rrun known good cables directly from the battery to the starter. If the starter cranks the engine over as it should, then obviously the starter is okay. Let us know how you make out.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

thanks for the info and I will

thanks for the info and I will try that some time today if rain stops and let you know.

well I just got done working o

well I just got done working on the motor and installed the battery and new terminals. I also gaped the points and tryed new fuel. well it ran.
One problem the number 3 cylinder is not firing I think it is number 3 it is the very bottom cylinder. now the spark plug is striped out could this be causing this problem. You could litterly just push the plug right in the hole. And do they make a bigger size plug i could put in or how do I make another spark plug work. also the fuel I got with the boat is probably between 2-4 yrs old and it is a mix fuel do you think it is wise to still use it. I have around 15 gal of it on board.

thank you for your advice and sorry for the spelling.

"No problem with the spelling.

"No problem with the spelling. The old fuel mixture, if it is indeed 4 years old, it would be wise to discard it.

The stripped spark plug threads can be restored to its original condition with a 1/2" reach 14mm helicoil. If it is not a straight in shot at that spark plug hole, the cylinder head will need to be removed. If you aren't capable of this helicoil job and/or are not knowledgeable of what I'm speaking of, have a machine shop or a knowledgeable marine mechanic perform that procedure for you."

thank you for your advice and

thank you for your advice and help I really appricate it. I am glad I finaly got It running Now it is just the little thing to work on. One more thing. While I was working one the points there was a spring like thing it looked like a C figure and it would go around the spindle but really I have no clue where it would go. I put It where It origanly was but It does not seam right. the spindle seems to be wearing down the sides of the spring like thing I think they call it the reverse (something)

"That is what is called a &#34

"That is what is called a "Reverse Cutout Spring". Without that item, it is possible for the engine to run backwards. If it is worn, replace it.

It installs so that the coiled portion of it faces upward. The spindle as you refer to it is actually the "crankshaft". Use what is called "Type D" grease on that spring, available at your local dealership, no doubt available also at various automotive part type stores.... it is simply a high temperature resistant grease. Without this type grease, the friction would wear the cutout spring quickly. Do not skimp on applying this grease."

ok thank you for all your help

ok thank you for all your help.
I am glad there is a site out there people can count one for some free advice.
THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN.

"YES you are right. All the pe

"YES you are right. All the people on here to help us are GREAT PEOPLE, yes thank's to ALL !!! Mike."

Back