Logo

Shifting from forward to neutral

blawton_25

"Had my four winns with a 4.3L

"Had my four winns with a 4.3L out last night and noticed that when I shift from forward to neutral I sometimes have to shift to the reverse position to get it out of forward. I just bought the boat and the previous owner had the cable replaced a year ago, is there any kind of adjustment that can be made?"

I've had similar problem w

I've had similar problem with mine but was just high idle...linkage was clean but just wouldnt come down to the stop on its own...throttle return spring did the trick....doesnt need to be tight...if your idle is high this could be your problem too.
HyStat- thanks for the proceedure! I printed it to keep on the boat for future reference.
Paul

"Brad, your idle should be abo

"Brad, your idle should be about 600, at 1100 shifting will be almost impossible! Might be a good idea to check your timing & adjust throttle idle screw to get that down.
PV"

"I was wrong about the rpm&#39

"I was wrong about the rpm's it idles at about 700. Coincidentally, the tach is tempermental sometimes, sometimes tapping the gauge brings it back to normal...any suggestions?

Back to the ESA......when I'm cruising and then shift to neutral it shifts fine. The problem is when I bring the throttle back to idle but still in forward. We do alot of no wake boating, so I have to go pretty slow alot. When shifting from forward to neutral when only going a couple miles an hour it has a hard time shifting.

When in neutral the esa switch is in the "notch" then when you shift far enough forward it goes up on the top to the V. Is this correct? should it move as soon as I shift into forward and maybe just needs to be adjusted? if so how?

Thanks"

"When shifting these Cobras yo

"When shifting these Cobras you need to do it quick with decisiveness, don't drag out the shift. The shift actuator (v shape notch) will raise or lower depending on which gear you select and if there is any resistance in the lower shift cable, not much going into gear but lots coming out. The actuator should move enough to activate the interrupt switch which engages the ESA and allows you to complete the shift easily. Keep in mind all this happens in a second or 2.

Also try to bring those RPMs down a bit more, 500-600 in gear will help."

Back