Logo

Trim problem on a 1990 Bravo One

sntrym

"This one is for Guy, Brian, a

"This one is for Guy, Brian, and BTDoctur, but if anyone else has any suggestions, please feel free to chime in.

This is the same Cobalt I'm in the process of resurrecting. When I first started working on it, the trim would not work at all. We jumped the positive terminal at the 110 amp fuse to the up Blue/White to bring it here from NY. I then replaced both solenoids and the resevoir. Then, it would sporadically work when in the water, especially the UP on the throttle handle. Most of the time, the trailer and down would work. Sometimes when running, the UP would not work and I used the trailer button to trim it appropriately.

Now, nothing works, except jumping the terminals. I just replaced the trim sender and limit switches, and verified they are working correctly. The sender sends to the gauge just fine, and the limit switch has continuity when placed in the proper position.

I have 12v on the red wire at the throttle switch, but nothing at the 3 pin connector at the pump assembly. All contacts have been inspected and cleaned.

The 20 amp fuse is good, the 110 amp fuse is good, and everything else I could check.

Now, here's the kicker. The blue/white and green/white coming from the connector to the solenoids is reading a ground. WTF. I thought these were supposed to have voltage when the trim switch is up or down. I can't find any shorts, nor am I blowing any fuses.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!"

Sounds like the wires in the h

Sounds like the wires in the handle are shorted.

They come down from the switchs and sit in a plastic casing (look there first)( 3 or 4 pins ) its early and I have not finished my first cup of coffee!!. then they go down the handle and wrap around several ( in a circular fassion) times and exit the control box. (this is most likely where the issue is)

Odds are someone had the handle/controll apart and was not careful reassembling it.

From the contol box it is a straight shot to the three wire/pin connector at the pump. ( also check the three wire/pin connector.

Go to marina and order a service manual...........A lot of this can be answered with the info in a book.

"Thanks kghost. I don't th

"Thanks kghost. I don't think it's ever been apart, but I know that since it sat for so long, some animals had taken up residence in various places. I have no doubt they chewed through a few wires in the process. I'll yank that apart tonight and check. I was actually in the process of taking the whole side panel off last night but ran into a snag where I can't get to two screws. I'll keep you posted..."

Be VERY careful when taking th

Be VERY careful when taking the handle off and make special note of the way the wires are routed!!!

I was also thinking after I replied that maybe some critters got at the wiring.............

Per Kghost "They come down

Per Kghost "They come down from the switchs and sit in a plastic casing (look there first)( 3 or 4 pins )"

That is where I had my problem. Inside the case you'll find 4 double ended female connectors that the switch side and the cable to the stern connect. I got tired of soldering wires to the pins and just replaced the entire harness from the inside of the shifter to the stern.

"...make special note of the way the wires are routed!!!"

He's right! When I replaced the harness I noticed that there was little slack at pinch/bend points in the one I removed. Make sure the wires are not twisted as they enter/exit the handle. I also slathered some 2-4-C grease wherever there was a chance the wiring would rub against anything.

"So just for fun I filled the

"So just for fun I filled the gear oil resevoir since it was a little low and the alarm was sounding. Now it works perfectly! WTF.

Oh well. Going to adjust the trim limiter and take her for a run.

Thanks for all the suggestions, pics, etc.!

Mike"

"OK, I spoke too soon. Took it

"OK, I spoke too soon. Took it out, and it trimmed out initally, then nothing. Back to the drawing board. I'm fairly convinced that it's got to be a bad ground somewhere since nothing was working at all yesterday. No UP, DOWN, or Trailer. I can't imagine that all 3 would quit working at the same time, then start working at the same time for no apparent reason."

"check the main power cables o

"check the main power cables on the trim bracket
short the solenoids, works or it dosent.
Yes, go to 3 wire plug at the trim motor, using a test light ,verify power at one of them, jump from there to 1 of the other pins, works.
Yes, trouble is in the wiring from there to the control handle.No : trouble is in the pump area.
You did check the 20A fuse that supplies power to the system? A red wire with a large rubber connector right by the 3 wire plug."

I finally replaced the fused 3

I finally replaced the fused 3 wire plug at the trim motor because the new male trim harness connector kept coming loose. All is well.

"I'm still inclined to bel

"I'm still inclined to believe there is a problem in the wiring at or near the control handle, but it's weird that either it all works or it doesn't. It doesn't make sense for all three to quit working unless there is a bad ground.

I did check the fuse, and it's good. I have voltage at the handle, but not at the connector...sometimes. So the list of the problem areas includes:

- Wiring out from the switches on the handle
- Trim limit switch (REPLACED, bypassed for testing just in case)
- Purple/blue-white connector (Checked for good connection, three times)
- 3 pin connector (cleaned terminal, may end up replacing this anyway)
-- One note on the 3 pin: I'm going to wire up a momentary switch with a blade plug on the end to shove into each of the slots to see if that works. If it does, then I think I have a wiring issue.

Ugh, I hate electrical gremlins..."

""I did check the fuse, an

""I did check the fuse, and it's good. I have voltage at the handle, but not at the connector...sometimes."

The end caps on glass fuses are glued in place. The glue deteriorates over time. Change the fuse. Why? Because I didn't and the intermittent problem reared its ugly head in the middle of the lake one day. When I checked it the fuse ends separated and I had no spare. Had an auto type fuse and socket assy. that I used quick clips to place it in-line.

Perform a wire wiggle test w/a a meter in place to check for cracked wires and/or solder joints. I also had a cracked solder joint in the handle harness connector assy."

"Changed fuse, no difference.

"Changed fuse, no difference. Checked throttle handle again, and all voltages are good in and out. Nothing at the connector. yanked on wires while pressing up, down, and throttle, and nothing. Wires look good from throttle handle to connector.

Going to review wiring diagrams for the 20th time to make sure there are no points in between that can be a problem..."

"Just had a thought. Is there

"Just had a thought. Is there another fuse or connector just back of the throttle handle? I'm thinking of removing the whole handle assembly as that seems to be the most likely place for a bad connection or a pinching of wires.

If I have to do that, does anyone have a diagram of the handle? I think it's a Morse, but have no model number. It has Trim Up/Down, Trailer, and a push button for throttle only in which the handle does not pop out.

Thanks!"

"Mike

First off the POWER c

"Mike

First off the POWER comes from the pump to the handle so if you disconnect the plug there is no power.

The power bus that connects the 2 solenoids has a red 10 gauge that goes to the Battery + thru a "large fuse" (brass looking thing) and there is also a small 16 guage red wire with the inline fuse and this is the power that goes to the handle thru the plug. So if you have 12 volts at the handle when the plug is connected and not when it is disconnected that is why.

The power for the solenoids comes from the battery but goeas thru a large "fuse" that looks like a piece of brass, Correct? If so remove that and clean it very well, It was and may still be a common problem called

PAINT CREEP, they paint things so well that over time the paint softens up and "creeps" under the point of connection. I belive there was actaully a bulletin once for this.

also you could remove that "large fuse" for testing only purposes and see if it may be bad and just connect the battery + directly to the pump."

Kghost: Good post.

Mike:

Kghost: Good post.

Mike: Disconnect the battery. The 110 amp fuse can get dirty; brass discoloration. Paint creep per KG also happens. Take it apart and polish the connecting ends of all the parts w/ fine steel wool. Some of the connections on the pump assy. are double nutted w/a lock washer. Make sure the bottom nut is tight and place an ignition wrench (small & thin) on the bottom nut while tightening the top nut. If you don't then one nut will loosen and open a circuit. BTDT! I spray a little of the battery protector spray on the finished connection. Don't use the varnish type.

"There is power at the handle,

"There is power at the handle, and going out on all connections when the appropriate switch is used. There is none at the connector for the colors other than red, so that tells me there is something between the pin type connectors in the handle and the connector. I think I'm going to take the whole throttle handle off as I believe that's where the problem is. All fuses are good and all connections are clean."

"OK, I think I got it. Just fo

"OK, I think I got it. Just forward of the throttle handle behind the fire extinguisher compartment is a 4 pin connector that mates the wires from the trim controls to the wires that run to the back of the boat. I pulled the connector apart and tested, and it test all leads just fine. I plugged everything back in, and it's working.

While I'm not 100 percent convinced it's fixed, it looks promising. Going to take it out tomorrow for a test run..."

Remove the connector again and

Remove the connector again and get some dielectric grease and put some in the male and female ends. Should be good for many years.

Probably an oxidized pin/socket

Back