Logo

After market ignition system for 318 chrysler

60grit

"Just ordered a long block and

"Just ordered a long block and getting ready to rebuild a 1972 LM318 standard rotation, electronic ignition and raw water cooled motor. this motor powers a 1972 25' Fiberform cutty cabin with a Volvo Penta 270 Aquamatic out drive.
The boat is used exclusivly at lake Powell in Utah. My question is are there any complete after market ignition systems for this year of chrysler? I am mostly looking for dependability and not tring to build for HP. Can I use a Mallory marine distributor with the MSD marine ignition system? Since MSD doesn't offer a chrysler distributor. I am also thinking of a edelbrock performer intake with there 1409 600cfm carb. I know the intake is aluminum. what are the potental reprocussions of this set up running only in lake powell fresh water.once again I am looking for dependability (the girls go down there by themselves with wine and very little mechanical knowledge) Any input is apreciated. the web sight has been very helpful."

"The Mallory Ign. is the best

"The Mallory Ign. is the best Robert, not sure about using a MSD with it, Also the 1409 is a great carb and you'll be happy with it. Not sure if you would see any real increase in performance in a alum. intake over the factory.

Dave"

""the girls go down there

""the girls go down there by themselves with wine and very little mechanical knowledge"

So they probably won't be adjusting the spark timing advance, by tricking out the timing advance springs, then? Or setting the low speed mixture with a vacuum gage? I understand....

For what it's worth, I put in the Pertronix ignitor kit in my Chrysler's distributor, and a low impedance coil, and I never worry about points or condenser, or any of that. It was under $200 total, I recall. I regapped the plugs to about 0.040", and it makes a big old hot spark now."

"I went with High performance

"I went with High performance units from Mopar performance, been on for about 8 yrs now, just lift the caps in the spring to check the rotor, & the inside of the cap, shot of fluid film & put them back. $500 got me new distributors, new spark control units, every thing needed. I agree with David, the 1409 carb is excellant, I put a pair on last year, started right up when she went back in the water..no pumping like the old Carters, just turn the key."

"The only problem with the Mop

"The only problem with the Mopar performance units is they are not marine units, and even though they are top shelf, I can't sell them to my customers. I guess I look at it like this , I wouldn't take a chance with any of my family members by using a automotive system, when the Mallory is available, and here in the states you can't legally use them, It would be nice if there was someone who could convert them to marine approved units as then we could use then as a direct replacement.
Dave"

"David...I went with the Mopar

"David...I went with the Mopar units for 2 reasons..they are completely sealed units, 100% billet aluminum bodies, no vents = no sparks, & the price..why pay double for the same unit, just because it says "marine" on the box. ( compare the Mallory "billet" dist, to the mopar one, identical)"

"Not in a boat!

Jeff

PS:

"Not in a boat!

Jeff

PS: Petronix makes a new module that replaces the points and condenser--it triggers (somehow) off the points cam. Simplest way to get rid of points forever, and probably delivers a better spark as well."

"If it isn't marine approv

"If it isn't marine approved there is no way I can sell it to my customers, .. Like Jeff mentioned Pertronix does have some kits for the Chrysler's ( I have run one in my personal boat for years! ) The kits are reasonable, and simple to install, and the boat starts and runs much better than with the points. I have planned to swap to a Mallory unit because I like the looks of the billet housing, but to date I still have the Pertronix kit and it runs great."

"Joe..they are mechanical adva

"Joe..they are mechanical advance units, been on my engines for about 8 yrs, never a problem"

"Mine are stock Chrysler elect

"Mine are stock Chrysler electronic distributors and, despite some minor advance sticking, they're still working fine after 24 years.

Jeff"

i also vouch for the reliabili

i also vouch for the reliability of the stock electronic distributors. regular maintenace keeps them goin strong!

Back