Logo

No fuel filter on bayliner

jcampbell

Regular Contributor
"While im playing the parts wa

"While im playing the parts waiting game. Im wondering, there is not 1 fuel filter on my boat when i got it. I been through the entire fuel system, the pickup tube is a metal tube that connects to the antisiphone, the fuel line goes to the pump, from the pump to the carb.

Inside the carb is a small mesh screen that i cleaned, wasnt dirty but was rebuilding the carb.(needle valve stuck) i did put a fuel water seperator on it but had to disconnect it after the fuel pump pumped what fuel it could out the filter and i ran out of gas in the carb going 10mph out in the water.

Not as dramatic as going 30mph and the clip holding the throttle cable to the carb broke, and slowed the boat in a heart beat. Thank goodness for swivles to make a fast repair.

My boat is a 1985 Bayliner Capri (im sure thats why) 1950 runabout. Volvo AQ125a engine with 270 leg."

"Yes, a long drawn out version

"Yes, a long drawn out version of. Is it common for bayliners to not install fuel filters when they build these boats?

Hope i didnt upset anyone.

Jason"

"Bayliners are not exactly &#3

"Bayliners are not exactly "top tier" boats.

RE: " ran out of gas.... 10 mph out in the water"
This is not a "this is what happens with a water seperator in the system" problem, this is a "there is something wring with the installation" problem.

You should have a filter AND a water seperator. There are combination ones available with drainable separator bowls. Be sure the water separator portion has a METAL bowl, not a plastic one... USCG regs."

"Its setup tank, water seperat

"Its setup tank, water seperator,fuel pump, carb.

The fuel/water seperator is a seasense, looks like an oil filter. just crusing along to fishing hole, engine died. Couldnt get to start, thought it was flooded so i floored the throttle nothing, pumped it and noticed nothing coming out of the booster jet. Took top of carb off and noticed the float chamber was empty. So i hooked the fuel line direct back to the fuel pump and it ran great the rest of the trip.

I only assume it was just pumping in air instead of fuel and once the fuel level in the filter was low enough it quit pumping into the chamber. The fuel plugs on the filter might be loose or something i dunno, i'll go through it again and try again. Or i have it posistioned wrong."

"Jason, no..... you did not up

"Jason, no..... you did not upset anyone at all, but I saw no question or question mark (???) in your first post of this thread.

So if your question(s) is/are what should I do?? Then I'd recommend that you first, install a marine filter. If the Parker/RACOR true water separating filter is in the budget, then I'd recommend that route (I have two of them on mine and they are much more efficient than the plain Jane version).
I'd also make certain that the flow direction is correct.

Secondly, I'd remove the fuel tank dip tube/pick up tube and check the screen and the anti-siphon valve.

Thirdly, I'd check the fuel tank vent hose.... both for restriction in the hose and at the vent fitting...... and see if it has the correct inverted "loop" in it.

Go from this point forward, and keep trouble shooting."

"That would be nice to get the

"That would be nice to get the racor filter.

I have removed the pickup tube there is nothing on it, just an aluminum tube with a notch at the end. No screen or nothing. I removed the float sensor on it and the tank is as clean as a whistle with a lil debri floating around. The anti-syphon was removed and cleaned seems to be working a lot better now.

I made sure the direction arrows were correct about the only thing i didnt like about this seasense filter is that there are too many ports you have to plug up. Or my fuel pump is getting weak?
Im not leaking into the carb through the clear hose tho. But i did get a lil bit of blow by from it when it was hooked to the filter. Once it was connected direct to the tank it stopped?"

Back