Logo

OMC Cobra

devin

"Hello, I have an 89 Bayliner,

"Hello, I have an 89 Bayliner, 19', 5.0 ford with a OMC Cobra outdrive. It shifts into reverse whether I put it in drive or reverse. I have heard about some electrical mechanism. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks"

"There is nothing electrical f

"There is nothing electrical for the shifting on a Cobra. I would be checking inside your gearshift/throttle control first for a problem, the cable either gets pushed or pulled."

"My 5.8 OMC just had electroni

"My 5.8 OMC just had electronic ignition, dist cap, rotor and plugs replaced. I ran good before and I wanted to update and improve shifting. Runs fine at idle and high speed; 3000 and up. Problem is engine runs rough at 1200 rpm up to about 2800 rpm and almost cuts out sometimes. What should I check before changing coil and ignition wires?"

what type of carburator do you

what type of carburator do you have ?

Cutting out to you could be hesitation to me which means carb issue. but not usually in that range unless you have a 4bbl Rochester and theres a problem with the primary metering rods/circuit.

"oh if it is a 4bbl quadrajet,

"oh if it is a 4bbl quadrajet, or not, you can tell its a fuel lean issue if you have someone drive and while in that range slowly close the choke butterfly, if it improves, your lean. if not then it's something else.

Was the timing checked/adjusted with the ignition was changed? could be the mechanical advance isn't working right either."

Back