Logo

Starter engadgment

awkw

"The starter on my port side 3

"The starter on my port side 350 crusader is not engadging. It had issues last year so I had it rebuilt, it worked for a while and is now acting up again. The battery voltage is good and the flywheel teeth look good also, any ideas out there?"

"If it is spinning, the soleno

"If it is spinning, the solenoid is working so maybe the link to the bendix broke so that the gear isn't engaging the flywheel."

"Maybe it is engaging, but the

"Maybe it is engaging, but the starter drive (Bendix) is free wheeling both ways (instead of just one way)
Try turning it both directions with your thumb.

Fred 156-M"

"If that is one of those bolt

"If that is one of those bolt unpwards to attach starters, it might need to be reshimed. If the bolts go in horizontally, ignore the above.

Jeff"

"Thanks for the responses,it s

"Thanks for the responses,it sounds like it is spinning.It will be a few days before I get back to the boat, I will check the Bendix, also I have been told that there is a cover that can be removed to see if the gear is actually extending. I will let you know how it goes

Al"

"If the Bendix extends but doe

"If the Bendix extends but doesn't turn the flywheel, then IT is your problem.

Jeff"

"Got back to the boat finally,

"Got back to the boat finally,took the starter off and found what appeared to be a keeper ring sliding around on the shaft. I took it to the shop that rebuilt it, they repaired it and it seems to be fine now but we shall see. Also the port with the rubber plug/cover was a great place to see what the starter was actually doing

Al"

Back