Logo

Rebuild kit for mercruiser sea water pump

sgrant

"I bought a Mercury brand wate

"I bought a Mercury brand water pump upper repair kit part number 46-96148T 8 for my MC 120 inline. The kit has many o-rings, gaskets, the upper housing, and an impeller, along with some misc parts. The upper housing did not have any kind of seal where the drive shaft comes through the pump but it does have a grooved recess where one would go. The pump I removed had what appeared to be a melted seal of some sort in the grove and the shop manual shows an oil seal and a rubber collar (also referred to as a centrifugal slinger) at the top of the pump housing where the shaft comes through. The kit has a rubber collar (centrifugal slinger)identical to the one I removed but it sits against the top of the housing on the shaft (not in the groove). The manual mentions how to properly orient the upper and lower lips on the oil seal when installing it but there's nothing in the kit that resembles that type of seal (similar to the rear main seal on a car engine). The picture in the manual seems to show the oil seal going in the empty groove in the housing. Was this seal omitted from my kit, or am I supposed to buy it separately? That was actually the only part I needed other than the impeller and a gasket and I thought that an upper pump rebuild kit would include that part. This kit was one of those "high use" parts that was hanging on the grab and go wall behind the parts counter so i know someone out there has used the same kit before. thanks in advance for the guidance."

Back