Logo

Honda 20hp

dasboot

"I have a 20HP honda two cylin

"I have a 20HP honda two cylinder, pretty old engine. I don't have reg plate or any indication of age although styling of the engine cover, I think indicates 70's possibly! She has always started well but for the last few years has barely run except for the occasional start up. I tried again the other day and found no joy. I am not getting any spark, although there does seem to be a very week spark intermitently. I can only guess it's coil or points. I have reset points to 20 thou as a guess and cleaned them but no spark at all. Any way of checking? How can I check the condenser, coil etc?
Any info would be welcome including if there is a manual on site anywhere for an aged machine.
Thanks!!"

Take the condenser in your han

Take the condenser in your hand to a 12vt battery and touch one end to the neg and jumper the wire to the pos. Then count to 10 and touch the wire to the can of the condenser should give off a scary spark.

You then put it all back together and hook a spark plug to the coil lead and ground it to the block. Spin the engin over and look for a spark. It won't be much of a spark- handa never had a very good ignition.

Back