Logo

Newbie older boat older motor Evinrude questions Thanks

jnicita

"Greetings, I just purchased a

"Greetings, I just purchased a used boat, older boat, 1989 Sea Nympth. I has a Evinrude outboard on it. Guy I bought it from says it started out at as a Evinrude 55, but when it came time to rebuild the power head, that the entire until was replaced with a 75 power head. Question #1, does the 55 or 75 in the model number designated horsepower? I've been told this combination works, but just not sure what the horsepower would be.

The guy gave me 3 props with the motor, he knew I would be using the boat to slow troll for trout, so he said change the prop to the smallest prop so that at idle I would have the slow speed that I needed. I took it out first with the "middle" sized prop on it. He was right, TOO fast at idle, and it seemed to want to slowly get to the point of stalling. So I changed the prop, idle speed much better, stalling problem not as prevalent, but still stalls without playing with the throttle. I would assume a compression check first, then if okay, possibly a tune up?

I also just took the boat from San Diego lakes (3000 ft) to Big Bear Lake (7000-8000ft I think) and the idle problem was much worse. 150-200 yards at it would stall. Just "barely" over idle (but too fast to trout troll) and it would run all day. It also had no issues running at 1/4 - full throttle on the lake, seemed like I could get into the throttle and off of it without any issues, *UNLESS* I allowed it to stall at a troll, then I had to start the motor and baby it through the throttle (if I tried to throttle too fast, it would die, but if I did it slow, it would hesitate a bit, until it "blew out" then the response would come back.

Sorry, real hard to ask such questions in a post. Some people I talk to are saying a full tune up and jets would be like 750.00 bucks, which seems so much. I don't know much about outboards, just seems to me that if it runs 1/4 - full throttle that the motor should be okay, and the issues at idle would be carb/tune up related. Thanks for any info you can give.

I'll have to pull the serial nums so someone can help me with the year as well, anyone know where to locate them on a evinrude/johnson?

Thanks again."

"Per my previous post, I went

"Per my previous post, I went out and found the tag on the transom mount, its OLD. 65373R, so a 1973 65 HP Evinrude.

Is there a location on the power head to get its information. Like I said, I was told it was replaced with a rebuilt 75 powerhead, but before I take it to a local shop for a tune-up (that is if compression warrants a tune up). I would like to verify the power head in some way? Is it stamped somewhere on the body somewhere? Any help would be appreciated. I had to take a knife and scrape off paint to get the model and serial number information from it, so it might be there but not in plain site. Again, any assistance would be great.
Thank you.

John"

"Sometimes you'll find the

"Sometimes you'll find the model number stamped on a core plug, but not always."

Back