Logo

1966 OMC

pigman

"Howdy all. I recently acquir

"Howdy all. I recently acquired this boat and would like to learn a few things about it. I havent been able to find much on the web so I thought I would see if there are any OMC gurus here that might tell me a few things.

First off I have ordered a repair manual. When I went to fill the upper gear case oil leaked from the water intake and from the front of the outdrive just above where the two gear cases meet. I am assuming that this is just a bad seal issue unless someone cautions otherwise. I had attempted to remove the lower unit to see if I could see where the problem lay but on my attempt I could not get the lower unit to drop away any more than a 1/2 inch from the drive unit. I had looked online for a replacement seal kit but I have not seen anyone carry anything earlier than 1970

I would also like to know where to look for a hull number. And if anyone knows what model this boat is.

Other than that oil leak everything in this boat is in fairly good shape. The motor, a 300 cu. in. Cadillac, purrs like a kitten. The upholstery need to be redone as well as the carpet and several other things but it is still a nice boat for a first boat.

Anything else anyone can tell me about this boat would be a great help and much appreciated.

http://gundogforum.com/album/v/Casper/Boat/"

"Probably a 300 Buick. OMC use

"Probably a 300 Buick. OMC used the 300 Buick V8 in that era.
The Seloc 1964-1985 manual would help you with the upper reseal and putting a water pump impeller in. You have to remove the drive, then remove the upper.
The lower unit doesn't come off the way you are attempting."

"Very unique boat. Same drive

"Very unique boat. Same drive as mine, buy a Manual.You didn't mention a Model? Looks like a smaller boat. Wouldn't it be the 225? It'd push that thing quick.

Scott"

Scott I am not sure of a Model

Scott I am not sure of a Model. I was hoping someone might be able to help me with that.

I have ordered the Seloc manual. But before I go and attempt this would it be suggested that this type of work be best left to a professional?

Yes the oil might be coming ou

Yes the oil might be coming out the overflow definetly working on an old stinger a manual may not be enough professional help is a wise choice

"This is an electric shift, an

"This is an electric shift, and the wires to the lower have to come out the transom and past the upper gearcase where there is a spring on them to help keep them out of the way and then to the gear case. You will want to put a feeder line on the wire or it is a buggar to put back on.

Sounds like the wires are holding you back- treat them gently as they have special seal rings cast in the insulation and are very expensive."

"Boy, that could be a very sli

"Boy, that could be a very slick looking boat all restored to pristine. As for the hull number, it may not have one. The did not become mandatory until 1970 or 1971 or so. There is another board called Fiberglassics (http://www.fiberglassics.com/) that may help you to identify your boat. Join up there, and post the pictures and maybe someone will be able to help you out."

"Thanks for all the advise guy

"Thanks for all the advise guys. Much appreciated.

"Boy, that could be a very slick looking boat all restored to pristine."

Ed, I think the same. Whats great about this boat is it was given to me. Thanks for the link I'll check it out"

"<< They did not becom

"<< They did not become mandatory until 1970 or 1971 or so.>>

Not so...I've just found out the exact model of my boat, and it certainly DID come with a hull number.Don't know yet whether its a 66 or 67. Look at the Bow, JUST under the rub-rail at the point. You may see a Hull No. there. It's where mine is.
The board I got my info off, I can't join. No Credit Card.It IS full of folks with old Fiberglass Chris Crafts.

Scott"

"<< When I went to fil

"<< When I went to fill the upper gear case oil leaked from the water intake and from the front of the outdrive just above where the two gear cases meet.>>
Take the "leg " off, and have it serviced by a Pro.
Sounds to me like a seal.I'd have to look in my Seloc Manual.
Scott"

"<< This is an electri

"<< This is an electric shift, and the wires to the lower have to come out the transom and past the upper gearcase where there is a spring on them to help keep them out of the way and then to the gear case. You will want to put a feeder line on the wire or it is a buggar to put back on. >>

I didn't have ONE problem taking the leg off, and getting the wire out or in. Vegetable Oil may help re-install it.Raise the drive about 3/4 way up, then unhook the wire on the inside of the boat. Then, have someone on the inside to steer the wire out, while you gently remove from the outside.The Connectors, where it connects to the boat wiring are different though.They don't just unplug, they fit together like two hands would when shaking hands.Slide the sleeve back that covers them, and then remove. You have to raise one wire up, and they unhook. Hard to explain in words.After that, it's just 4 bolts on the caps, and gently lift away the Leg.No need to remove the Quadrant (tilt gear). I'm about 230 lbs, and lifted it alone.I think it weighs about 130 to 160 lbs. KEEP THE SPACERS on the stubs, dont loose them. Setting it down strait, is another issue. Mine stood against the wall all winter.

Scott"

"<<Not so...I've j

"<<Not so...I've just found out the exact model of my boat, and it certainly DID come with a hull number.>>

I didn't say it "wasn't" there, I said the HIN did not become mandatory until 70 or 71. From my understanding, a few boat builders chose to use HIN's, but many did not, until it became mandatory."

Back