Logo

270 crusader engine

raemaxwell

after taking the boat out abou

after taking the boat out about 38 miles one of the engines coolant had a bit of foam floating on top of the coolant when I checked them but after I rechk in 30 mins it was gone on the trip back no problem starting or running engine? I s this a concern never seen foamy coolant before?
Would salt water be getting in there & causing foam?

"Food for thought..........

"Food for thought..........

Foam in coolant can result from trapped air in the system, a leak on the suction side of the water pump, an improperly functioning water pump, low or no coolant in the coolant recovery tank, or the lack of a coolant recovery system but I'm sure you have a recovery system so that is probably a non-starter.

I don't think you have to worry about salt water and the fact that it disappeared would lead me to believe in "trapped air" .........but I would keep an eye on that water pump.
wink.gif

Oh, and if the foam is pretty near the color of the coolant it should be air. If you see the coolant turning brown/black you might suspect a leaking, (getting ready to blow), head gasket as the worst case situation...hopefully not !!!!!"

Hi
no the coolant was still

Hi
no the coolant was still normal color
just when we took the cap off there was foam on top of the coolant and just never saw that before.
thanks for you help! my husband works out of town so I meet with the mechanics and just wanted a heads up before I called one. But I'll just have him chk the pump when he gets home.
Thanks!!

"Hi.
I am considering buying

"Hi.
I am considering buying a boat that has twin 270 crusader engines in it. The boat is a 27 ft blackfin fisherman with a 10 ft beam.
I'm trying to figure out how much fuel I will burn running her.
I can afford to buy the boat, just need to figure out if I can afford to run her. any info would be greatly appreciated.
thank you."

"Chris, I have a 25' algla

"Chris, I have a 25' alglas express with a 9' beam. Powered with a 350 chevy and a 1to1 reverse gear. Running at 2500 rpms I burn 5 to 6 gal per hour. So at the minimum for the boat you are looking at you should double that. Good luck."

"That's great gas mileage,

"That's great gas mileage, Paul. Most SBC burn 8 to 9 GPH at that speed.

Jeff"

HI Chris
We have a 35 ft egg

HI Chris
We have a 35 ft egg harbor & the beam is 13 with twin 270's we burn about 8 gallons of gas per hr going at about 10knots.
Rae

Back