Logo

Radiator cap question

n36511

Regular Contributor
My engine is overheating and I

My engine is overheating and I noticed this weekend that the radiator cap is leaking from the moment the engine starts. Can I use a standard cap off the shelf at autozone or something like that... and will this possibly fix my overheating issue?

Thanks! Scott

[b]Quote: "I noticed this

Quote: "I noticed this weekend that the radiator cap is leaking from the moment the engine starts."

This may be an indicator of another problem. You may want to perform some cylinder leak down testing.

"Thanks for the quick reply.

"Thanks for the quick reply. I am new to engine troubleshooting so I am going to have to do some research on what cylinder leak down testing is....In the mean time, can I use a standard off the shelf radiator cap and replace the faulty one that I have. There is little pressure on the cap while running but it leaks a nice little stream. If I unscrew the cap while running, the same volume of coolant leaks over the rim.

Thanks again!"

"I believe those caps operate

"I believe those caps operate at 4 or 5 psi pressure. Automotive ones run around 12 to 14. If you can find a 4 or 5 psi automotive one it should be find, but I doubt that you will find one.

Have a great day

Rob."

"If you have the recovery syst

"If you have the recovery system, the cap is specific to that.... don't just arbitrarily grab a cap. It must have both sealing surfaces.
Check with your OEM manual for cap pressure relief information."

Back