Logo

Adding a second pulley to the flywheel

queen_elvis

"I am in the process of instal

"I am in the process of installing a rebuilt Volvo MD2B, replacing an existing engine with an almost identical model. One difference, however, is that my old engine had a fresh-water pump installed whereas the new one does not.

I want to add the fresh water pump to the new one, and am trying to figure out how to drive it. On the old engine, someone had installed a pulley on the hand-start connection shaft, and this was used to drive the fresh-water pump. It seems that I would have to remove the hand-start shaft and put the pulley on there. But that seems like it might be a lot of effort, and may well be beyond my skill level with marine diesels.

So instead, I am considering putting a second pulley on my flywheel. The one pulley on there right now drives my alternator. Is it a viable option to add the second pulley to drive the water pump?

There are 4 bolts attaching my pulley to the flywheel, and I think I could add the second pulley by adding some spacers (probably about an inch or more long!) to position the second pulley well beyond the existing one. And adapter of some type would be necessary, too. Has anyone attempted such a set-up? And was it successful?

And where might I be able to buy a pulley? And is anyone likely to sell an adapter to allow me to attach this pulley to the flywheel?

Oh, and of course, is there a better way to do this?

Thanks a lot."

Should be no reason why you ca

Should be no reason why you can't add the 2nd pulley. Not sure if there is anything on the market or if your going to have to fab one up. Not sure if spacers would be the way to go. To me its seems like welding them together would make a more solid and dependable system.

"Check with any large yard in

"Check with any large yard in your area, they may have a collection of double or triple pulleys that may work. There are many "marine recyclers" (boat junkyards) that may have them available, too.

There's a few critical measurements you need to get: existing bolt pattern (number of holes, size, and spacing), the belt size, and the pulley's diameter. Also, the "height" or 'offset' is needed - how far the belt is spaced from the pulley mounting surface.

If you strike out and can't find anything, you could try March Performance down in FLA. They make all kinds of belt-pulley kits for street and race cars...may be able to point you in the right direction if nothing else."

Back